What's new

Home monitoring via 4G LTE cellular

DaveM

Reaction score
I need to be able to monitor a house at another location which will have heat and electricity, but no Internet. In particular I would need to know if the power should go out this winter. Is there a device which would have its own battery that would connect to Verizon 4G LTE cellular and send something to my phone to let me know that there was a power failure? It could be a text message, or trigger an app, for example. I don't particularly need to have remote cameras or anything too fancy.

A very late suggestion, but a reasonably inexpensive solution would be to get a portable WiFi hub such as a Karma Go ($150). This unit (and maybe others) will send an email when the battery gets down to 30%. I don't recall which service that the Karma unit uses, but I don't think it's Verizon. I believe it is either AT&T or Sprint, which won't do you much good if you don't get those in your location, but maybe Verizon has a WiFi hub that will do the same thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply jmiked. This was for a house that we were selling. However, due to an extremely mild winter in our area and a quick sale we ended up not needing it. Thanks anyway.