What's new

Hi to everyone

cooa99

Reaction score
Hi to everyone. I am new to the forum.

I Have an Iphone 4 with firmware 4.0.1 and baseband 1.59.
It has never been jailbroken and it has been officially unlocked.
Unfortunately I did not back up the SHSH files either so looks like i have limited choices.

I want to jailbreak and I know i dont want to upgrade to 4.2.1 and do a tethered jailbreak.

After doing a bit or reading, I hope I have a little more clue so need some help.

So Do I only have the 2 options below?:-
(1) Download OS 4.1 and Use ITunes to upgrade(offline) to 4.1 AND then jailbreak with Greenpois0n or Limera1n ?
(2) Use jailbreakme.com to jailbreak on my current 4.0.1 ?

I am leaning on option 1 because that means I get a few more features of 4.1 over 4.0.1

Thanks
cooa99

Welcome.

I would just use jailbreak me until an untethered jailbreak becomes available for 4.2.1...

thanks you very much guys.

just one more question regarding tinyumbrella.

Remember that I am on OS 4.0.1. Even though I missed the boat to backup my SHSH files while 4.1 was still beign signed, i got some of the following from the log.

You have saved your iPhone4 4.2.1 (8C148) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH........
You have saved your iPhone4 4.2b3 (8C5115c) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH.........

I dont want to sound daft, but if tinyumbrella is meant to save SHSH files
of the current version of OS on my iphone(...which is 4.0.1), then please can you explain why i would get such log message above ..... relating to 4.2.1?

thanks

cooa99

Strange. Remember you've missed the boat for 4.0.1 aswell if you've tried saving them after 4.1 was released. Perhaps cydia had tried signing you SHSH and because apple is only signing 4.2.1 now and 4.2 just before that that's why you've got that message. Of course it's wrong because you haven't been on either firmware. It's probably worth a try anyway. I wouldn't worry about it though it won't affect you. It does mean that you probably won't be able to restore to 4.0.1 if you need to...