What's new

HELP!

xrayeyes

Reaction score
I know this is iPhone forum, but this is an iOS update issue and hoping someone can help before I screw up my iPad.

I just updated to the latest iOS. I never put a passcode on my iPad. It would not let me get past that part of the set up after the update. I probably shouldn't have done this, but I ended up using the space bar, which put dots in all 6 spots.

Now when I go to turn it off, it won't accept the space bar as the code and I've done three attempts. What do I do to get out of this? Do I have to call Apple?

You‘ll have to erase your iPad. This can either be done via iCloud (if you use Find my iPad), or via recovery mode (by using iTunes on your computer).
If there‘s a backup that was made before the update, you can use it to set up your device after erasing.

If that‘s not possible, you‘ll have to contact Apple.

Thanks. Luckily I did do a backup before the update. Will work on it his afternoon.

That’s the first time I’ve ever had to put my device in dfu mode. Worked like a charm. Thanks! And glad I had backed it up right before the issue.

Update...on my iPad mini 4 it did the same thing againwhen I updated to iOS14. I did not give me an option to NOT use a passcode, as it did on all my other devices. I had to enter a passcode and then later go in to settings and turn it off. Weird!

Update...on my iPad mini 4 it did the same thing againwhen I updated to iOS14. I did not give me an option to NOT use a passcode, as it did on all my other devices. I had to enter a passcode and then later go in to settings and turn it off. Weird!
Agreed.
We have 10 iPads at school, and we don‘t use a passcode. So far, setting up a passcode (and removing it) hasn‘t been necessary.