What's new

Help with reviving iphone 3g

ViciousBiscuit

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, hopefully someone out there can help! The wife was given an old iphone 3g some while ago with the previous owners stuff still on, so like the good husband i am :-D i thought i'd clean the phone out and get it all set up as new.

After selecting a factory reset it stayed on the apple logo with progress bar, which didnt move after a while and stayed like that from there on. After turning it off and on i got the broken apple logo (i think) and from there i havnt had any luck getting it working again. I can talk to it via itunes but recovering it fails at the last step.

I am so annoyed, but hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

If restoring doesn't work, use recovery mode to get it working again.
Here are the instructions:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, after selecting restore i get the following steps:

Restoring iPhone software
Verifying iPhone software
Restoring iPhone firmware
The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)

And thats as far as it goes :-(

Was your iPhone ever jailbroken? This error could result from flashing an iPad baseband onto your iPhone.

Make sure iTunes on your computer is up to date.

Then try this to get her device back to life:
TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS | Apple iPhone Forum

When using Tinyumbrella i cannot see an advanced tab to be able to untick "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" i can at least get the iPhone into DFU mode.

Was your iPhone ever jailbroken? This error could result from flashing an iPad baseband onto your iPhone.
It wasnt until after it went wrong, i then followed various guides to jailbreak it (purely to get it working again) with no luck.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry to keep bugging, is there anything else i can try? Been pulling my hair out trying to get it going!

Thanks