What's new

Help Please: Need to know if new phone is locked or not!

charlie

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping someone can help..

Just bought an iPhone 4 on eBay, the seller said he thinks it is on O2 but is not sure.. It was an unwanted prize.

I received it this morning and have no clue how to check so I can get a sim card for it! I don't mind what network, just want to use it!

So does anybody know how I can find out as I don't have a micro-sim to check.

Thanks for reading.

sure, first things first; go to setting--> about---> and check what software version you have.

Also where are you form mate?

No way to tell what carrier it came from as far as I know.... Just take it by or call and see if the phone is registered under o2 as locked.

if you ring apple and give them the serial number they can check for you and tell you if its locked or not

if you ring apple and give them the serial number they can check for you and tell you if its locked or not

good point, but even if its not, it's not a big deal if you have an unlockable phone :))) But since he doesn't care what carrier to use might as well got to the apple store and get a contract there.

good point, but even if its not, it's not a big deal if you have an unlockable phone :))) But since he doesn't care what carrier to use might as well got to the apple store and get a contract there.

if its in the uk the apple store does not deal with contracts, you have to go to the carrier that the phone is locked to.. and yes it would be easier just to get a contract like you said i agree instead of all this unlock crap

Hi,

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm in the UK, and think I found it by going to settings.. and about, and Orange 8 came up as carrier, without a sim in it. Apple store doesn't deal with contracts, so needed to know which store to go to! I'll take it in to Orange tomorrow and hopefully pick one up, can't wait to use it, old one is looking even older now...! Will try phoning Apple if no joy with Orange.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm in the UK, and think I found it by going to settings.. and about, and Orange 8 came up as carrier, without a sim in it. Apple store doesn't deal with contracts, so needed to know which store to go to! I'll take it in to Orange tomorrow and hopefully pick one up, can't wait to use it, old one is looking even older now...! Will try phoning Apple if no joy with Orange.

Thanks again.

yeah apple just sell them factory unlocked, they used to do o2 contracts when it was only o2 no they just re direct you to them..

so your right you would have to go to an orange store and buy a micro sim from them. contract or pay as you go either is good.