What's new

Help needed from a secondhand dealer / Pawnshop

Apple put this feature on the phone to protect the owner. It is up to the buyer to "beware" and take safeguards before purchasing. I know Skull is working to come up with a solution for you for your particular line of work, and hopefully he finds one. But for the rest of us...the Apple community does not WANT a bypass to this feature.

I agree, it's a good feature and I think it's a bloody good idea.

i am not against it, and I am grateful to the experts in this group with the advice so far.

seems like a really nice bunch of people here.

Apple put this feature on the phone to protect the owner. It is up to the buyer to "beware" and take safeguards before purchasing. I know Skull is working to come up with a solution for you for your particular line of work, and hopefully he finds one. But for the rest of us...the Apple community does not WANT a bypass to this feature.

Actually I am not looking for a bypass. Trying to make sure where all the trap doors are. Mainly because if we say "Turn off only this feature and you are good" and then there turns out to be a secondary door that no one thought to look at, then someone is out some money. This is why I highly recommended putting the device in airplane mode. Because I don't want the device to wake up, connect to the internet and then have a command sent even though the primary locking feature has been disabled.

Work is slowing down my research, but I hope to get a few hours this weekend to test all my theories.

You might tell the people that bring in their devices to perform a full backup before bringing them in then the device can be reset in the store so you can verify its state. The customer can reset it when they get it home and you have the peace of mind knowing it is not a brick should they let the loan lapse.

The owner should be happy to NOT leave their personal information out there in case you do sell it on when they don't come back for it and don't reset the device.

Maybe a policy shift to cover your investment...

Actually I am not looking for a bypass. Trying to make sure where all the trap doors are. Mainly because if we say "Turn off only this feature and you are good" and then there turns out to be a secondary door that no one thought to look at, then someone is out some money. This is why I highly recommended putting the device in airplane mode. Because I don't want the device to wake up, connect to the internet and then have a command sent even though the primary locking feature has been disabled. Work is slowing down my research, but I hope to get a few hours this weekend to test all my theories.

Oh yes, I knew that you weren't looking for a bypass, but it appeared the OP was looking for one and then to sticky it. I just wanted some clarity regarding the outcome of this research. :)

You might tell the people that bring in their devices to perform a full backup before bringing them in then the device can be reset in the store so you can verify its state. The customer can reset it when they get it home and you have the peace of mind knowing it is not a brick should they let the loan lapse. The owner should be happy to NOT leave their personal information out there in case you do sell it on when they don't come back for it and don't reset the device. Maybe a policy shift to cover your investment...

That is certainly a viable option I would think. Though it would require the phone owner to know to make the backup beforehand or else make two trips.

Here are Apple's instructions for device owner to ready their device for sale. I suggest you hand the instructions to them and make them prove to you that they have complied.
They can always restore the device after they pay you back.

[h=1]What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch[/h][h=4]Learn what to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
[/h][h=2]If you still have your iOS device[/h]Before you sell or give away your iOS device, make sure that you've removed all of your personal information. Follow these steps to protect your data and get your device to its factory default state for the new owner:

1. Back up your device.
  2. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
    • This will completely erase your device and turn off iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, Game Center, and other services.
    • If you're using iOS 7 and have Find My iPhone turned on, your Apple ID and password will be required. After you provide your password, the device will be erased and removed from your account so that the next owner can activate it.
  3. Contact your carrier for guidance on transferring service to the new owner.
When the device is turned on for the first time by the new owner, Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.
Important: Do not manually delete contacts, calendars, reminders, documents, photo streams, or any other iCloud data while signed in to your iCloud account, or the content will also be deleted from the iCloud servers and all of your iCloud devices.

When we recycle iphones and ipads from our employees in a corporate seting we have then log out of icloud , turn off Imessage, and turn off find my iPhone then do a full reset before they are turned in then we verify all this has been done before we accept it. If this is followed we have no problem recycling the unit.

Only a few find the way; some don't recognize it when they do; some don't ever want to.