What's new

Help needed from a secondhand dealer / Pawnshop

NambourPawnbroker

Reaction score
Hello all. First time post here.

I hope this post is in the appropriate area.

I have been trying to get my head around the new security features on the Ipad 4's Iphone 5s etc.

We are Pawnbrokers in Australia and struggling with the evolution of Apple Products.

We are familiar with running the IMEI numbers in the online checker to see of the device is lost or stolen.

But where we are coming unstuck is with the new security features. I have already been lumbered with an Ipad 4 that I could not reset as I did not have the Apple ID Password(due to it being from a deceased estate ) because I could not turn off the "Find My Ipad" Feature.(I cant recall the exact issue but basically without the Apple ID password we could not reset it)

This morning I had an Ipad 2 that was reset but would not allow me to set it up as a new Ipad unless the correct apple ID and password was entered after a reset. I was under the impression that Ipad 2's and iPhone 4s and lower did not have these security features???

Anyway, what I am hoping for is some advice on what to check when an iPhone/Ipad comes in. what sort of checks we can run to achieve two things: 1) that if the person does not come back for the item we have the ability to wipe the device so we can sell it 2) assist the local police with stolen items.

One thing we can't do unfortunately, is go through the process of factory resetting each device because the majority of the time the apple product is just in for a loan and therefore people would not allow it.

Any help, tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just curious. If the iPads are only in for a loan, why are you fiddling around with them at all. It seems to me if someone defaults on the loan and the iPad becomes your property then you could then do a factory reset.

SeeEss that is exactly what they said. And they can't factory reset a properly configured iOS 7 device.

As for the real issue, you don't have any recourse. It doesn't matter what device it is. If iOS 7 is installed and it is secured properly, you own a paper weight. No ifs, ands or buts. I would stop taking ANY iOS 7 devices as a pawn loan unless you physically get the password, type it in yourself and turn off the security feature. Then I highly recommend that you immediately put the device in airplane mode and then power done the device. If they default, then you turn the device on and do a full reset. That is the only option I can envision that will allow you to make loans going forward.

Just curious. If the iPads are only in for a loan, why are you fiddling around with them at all. It seems to me if someone defaults on the loan and the iPad becomes your property then you could then do a factory reset.

We only fiddle with them if they loan expires and we need to dispose of the item. When we do end up owning the item, thats when the hassle begins.

SeeEss that is exactly what they said. And they can't factory reset a properly configured iOS 7 device.

As for the real issue, you don't have any recourse. It doesn't matter what device it is. If iOS 7 is installed and it is secured properly, you own a paper weight. No ifs, ands or buts. I would stop taking ANY iOS 7 devices as a pawn loan unless you physically get the password, type it in yourself and turn off the security feature. Then I highly recommend that you immediately put the device in airplane mode and then power done the device. If they default, then you turn the device on and do a full reset. That is the only option I can envision that will allow you to make loans going forward.

Thanks for that.

Question: What significance does airplane mode have?

Also in terms of turning off the security feature, is turning off "find my ipad" the only check we would need to do? Does this apply to Ipad 2 Iphone 4 etc if the Find My Ipad/Iphone feature is downloaded and installed.

**EDIT** just reread your mention of if it is any IOS7 7 device. Thanks

Thnaks, that is good info.

Last edited:
What is causing you problems is the find my iPhone feature of iOS 7. With it enabled you can't do a factory reset without the appleid and password of the owner. You could make it a condition of a loan to have the find my phone disabled so that in the event of a default on the loan you would be able to do a factory reset and sell the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.

Question: What significance does airplane mode have?

Also in terms of turning off the security feature, is turning off "find my ipad" the only check we would need to do? Does this apply to Ipad 2 Iphone 4 etc if the Find My Ipad/Iphone feature is downloaded and installed.

**EDIT** just reread your mention of if it is any IOS7 7 device. Thanks

Thnaks, that is good info.

Airplane mode turns off the WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular radios. And this mode survives a power down and power up state change. This means when you turn the device back on, it will not be able to communicate with anything. That should prevent anything from modifying the device remotely until you can do a full factory reset. Consider it the ultimate peace of mind that someone won't be able to take the device over from you.

Thanks Skull and Rasmith

Final questions: Yesterday I had an Ipad 2 with IOS7 on it that a customer had bought into the shop. SHe had reset it to the welcome screen. I assume she had sensitive stuff on it she was nervous about. Anyway when I went through the steps to get it going, at the activation point I put in the WEP key to our wan but would not activate it, it took me to a screen that required apple id and password before allowing me to continue to set it up as a new ipad. Now, I am assuming that she chose to reset it, would this be because she chose "reset all settings" (i have never done this) as opposed to Erase all content and settings?? Question being that even though it had been erased, it was still requiring the Apple ID and password. Any ideas on this.

Lastly, is turning off "find my iPad the only check required, with or without an apple id and password? IE: If I can turn this off and put it in Airplane mode, in theory I should be OK if in 3 months they fail to come back and redeem their item.

Thanks for all of your help, it is much appreciated.

Going to do some research before I weigh in on your question. One to be 100% sure because of the nature of the question.

As far as I know the customer HAS to know the apple Id and the reset must go through (I know you said people don't want to reset). However if you don't wipe it, you'll never be able to activate it again as a new device.

Note 3 ~ 5s

Going to do some research before I weigh in on your question. One to be 100% sure because of the nature of the question.

Thats really good of you.

i tried researching this, but I just can't work out the phrases for google searching, I come up with endless topics that don't match what I am trying to find.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile, after all this, if it would be worth having some sort of sticky, aimed at regular buyers as a guide buying used apple products. It might save people from getting stuck with paperweights.

Thanks Col.

I was wondering I the case of an iPad I have that is unable to be reset due to being unable to turn off Find My Ipad due to not knowing the Apple ID password, due to the original owner being dead.....

would jailbreaking it achieve anything...would that solve the problem?

Apple put this feature on the phone to protect the owner. It is up to the buyer to "beware" and take safeguards before purchasing. I know Skull is working to come up with a solution for you for your particular line of work, and hopefully he finds one. But for the rest of us...the Apple community does not WANT a bypass to this feature.