What's new

Help needed for fool :-(

mrplow

Reaction score
Hi, I am Paul, new to the forum and Iphones.

Just bought a used Iphone 3g today, the guy mentioned somehtign about it being open to any network but I didn't understand what he was saying to be honest.

I connected it to Itunes and set it off an an update, once this had finished it all went a little nuts. The phone is stuck in recovery mode and Itunes will not update it.

After lots of googling it looks like it was "jailbroken" think this is the correct term, I have tried following several you tube videos to downgrade the firmware (hope that is right) but this will not work, the closest I have got is getting a message saying the firmware fle is corrupt, again videos fro you tube do not work for me.

so far have tried running tinyumberella whilst performing downgrade, also lots of others but none have worked

Also the iphone does not show up on my computer when connected?

Please help, and this be fixes or have I just watsed a lot of money (called the guy back who I bought it off and he was not very helpfull)

Thanks in advance.

Google 'whitedoor'

Download the hacktivated firmware for your model pop your iPhone into dfu mode (google this) then click shift whilst clicking restore at same time in iTunes select the whitedoor firmware then you should be good to go
Btw hacktivated means jailbroken & network unlocked the only reason I suggested whitedoor as your model is a 3G and you can't upgrade to iOS 5 but at least you will have all the features if it with this firmware

mrplow said:
Hi, I am Paul, new to the forum and Iphones.

Just bought a used Iphone 3g today, the guy mentioned somehtign about it being open to any network but I didn't understand what he was saying to be honest.

I connected it to Itunes and set it off an an update, once this had finished it all went a little nuts. The phone is stuck in recovery mode and Itunes will not update it.

After lots of googling it looks like it was "jailbroken" think this is the correct term, I have tried following several you tube videos to downgrade the firmware (hope that is right) but this will not work, the closest I have got is getting a message saying the firmware fle is corrupt, again videos fro you tube do not work for me.

so far have tried running tinyumberella whilst performing downgrade, also lots of others but none have worked

Also the iphone does not show up on my computer when connected?

Please help, and this be fixes or have I just watsed a lot of money (called the guy back who I bought it off and he was not very helpfull)

Thanks in advance.

You do not need to follow any "downgrading guides". It's an old iPhone 3G. They don't even
Make them anymore.

I'm not 100% sure on how to fix your particular problem, but lemmie tell you what I would do.

First I would download the latest iOS IPSW.

I your case it is iOS 4.2.1. An iPhone 3G cannot go to iOS 5 or any other firmware above 4.2.1.

So download the 4.2.1 IPSW for your device model (iPhone 3G) (also make sure to NOT download the IPSW from Internet Explorer. It will not work. Download the IPSW from Mozilla FireFox or Google Chrome.

Save the IPSW to your desktop.

Now plug in iPhone and enter DFU mode.

For DFU watch a YouTube video.

Once in DFU open iTunes and hold down the shift key on keyboard while you click the restore button in iTunes.

Locate the IPSW on your desktop from within the little window and restore to it.

If that does not work, then I would make a custom IPSW with Sn0wbreeze.

Choose "Activate iPhone (Hactivation)" in the "General" tab in Sn0wbreeze.

Be sure to Choose "Baseband Preservation" if you choose to NOT jailbreak, as the other 2 modes of Sn0wbreeze will jailbreak the phone upon restore, which is what I would choose to do, but I am a experienced jailbreaker.

elitegamer767 said:
What's wrong with the whitedoor idea? For his phones age I thought it would be best solution

Oh it is the best way.lol. I was under the impression that you didn't want to jailbreak, as a lot of new iPhone users do not.

elitegamer767 said:
Lol you might be right by the way he referenced it sounds like he doesn't know what it means anyway

Yeah, that's kinda why I leaned away from that direction.

Guys, thanks for the advise, whited00r is somehtign I have not tries so i will ghive it a go....BUT I am being a bit thick again I think, I can't find a copy of it that will download? does anyone have a direct link please?