What's new

help: loosing video quality when sending via text

frldyz

Reaction score
Aghhh.. Loosing HD quality on larger videos w/ sending
<-- New iphone user (5s)
My wife and I take and share lots of videos of our daughter back and forth via texting. We have noticed that with longer ( larger file size ) videos the quality goes to poop.
Is there anyway around this?
We both have imessage set up ( Not exactly sure what the purpose of imessage is anyways...?).
I have read we might be limited to the file size depending on our carrier.
I have Sprint, she has Verizon. Both of us have a 5s.
I've read there are apps. that can eliminate this?
If yes, does that mean we both need to have this app?
*** I've read of something called dropbox? You upload the large file / HD quality video to Dropbox. Then via Dropbox send a link to the other person. And they can click the link to watch or download the video form the link? If yes the can dowload the video from the link does it still have the HD quality?

Both of you need turn on iMessage. If you use standard MMS, iOS automatically degrades the video so it will not use as much bandwidth due to carrier restrictions. Under iMessage that limitation is removed and you will get the original video. iMessage also will send full sized photos as well unlike MMS.

We both have imessage.
When I am texting her @ the top it says imessage
but the video still comes out blocky and grainy

do we both have to go into our settings and disable mms, sms and only have the imessage turned on?

do I need to be in a wifi area when sending?

iMessage works if you have WiFi or standard cellular data. BUT if you don't have an active data plan on one of the devices, then iMessage will not work and MMS will be used instead.

When you are both at home and on the same WiFi network, try resending a large video again. If that fails, then there might be some other issue I am unaware of that will require some research.

1. We do not have wifi @ home ( yet)
2. I do have wifi @ work.
3. So if we both have imessage turned on, and I am at work ( connected to wifi ), in a text message I can send her the video file and it should go to her in the hd quality it was filmed in?
4. I have an unlimited data plan with sprint.

If she has wifi at work or a good data connection to her cellular service, then yes that should be a good test.

Is the block around the video green or blue when you send it? If it's blue it is sending via iMessage, green is mms/text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk