What's new

Help...iPhone 4 just been stolen :(

skysiebaby

Reaction score
Hi guys

New to the forum but need help.

My iphone 4 was stolen tonight (grrrr) and had a 1 minute passcode lock on it. My husband received a call on his mobile from mine (after it was stolen) but when he answered it went to an automated message saying along the lines of 'please hold' and then went silent. We called it back and the ***** that stole it answered and basically said she wanted £50 for it and then when I said it was locked she said something like she'd cracked it and then hung up. My question is this; Vodafone said if the passcode was effective they didn't know how the thief had been able to dial my husbands number, is there a way to dial any numbers but not 'connect' to the call even if you can't access the phone? As if so I am extremely annoyed that having a passcode didn't stop all this, especially as if she has got into my phone she now could have my home address. I realise she would have been able to answer incoming calls even if the phone was still locked.

Just so you know we tracked the phone to a road with Find My iPhone, police have been informed and the phone is now blocked.

Would really appreciate some feedback as although the phone is insured I am p***ed off!

Voice dialing can be enabled when passcode lock is on.

Personally I would have paid the £50 finders fee !

Beats having to go thro the hassle of paying your excess fee, waiting for a new micro sim and delivery of replacement phone, and then having to sync everything all over again.

The findmyiphone software is great until they either turn it off in location services or rip out the microsim.

I have mine set at 5 mins.

If mine was taken or lost i would send a reward message, followed by lockout, and then remote wipe.

Remote wipe last because its not instant and if the finder notices what your doing they can put it into dfu mode or simply pop your sim out !

Their is a tweak for jailbroken phones called any lock app, which can be set to also lockout access to your settings so someone cannot simply turn off functions.

I would highly doubt they have had access to your personal data such as addresses.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, we thought it just wasn't worth the risk of meeting them for the sake of a phone tbh. Realised that I could have locked and wiped it remotely but the last time I called it back before it was blocked it had been switched off so that wouldn't have worked anyway. And they also had my address on my driving license anyway which was also stolen so guess theres nothing more for it except to wait for a replacement and maybe see if it turns up on ebay lol. It was just bothering me that they could have looked at the personal and sentimental stuff on my phone but hopefully with the lock they wouldn't have been able to get that far.

Most people would just restore which wipes it of all your data so your safe that way.

As for meeting up then a public place and being accompanied is always advised. I once found a purse and the owner met me at my place of work to collect it. To add balance not all people are dodgy ! Lol.

At least you had the lock enabled to stop snooping eyes.

Take care.

You could of agreed to it and gone to the police and ask for an office to follow you, not sure if that would of ben too much to ask from the police but to catch a thief if they knew the situation I am sure they would have done it. I am sure they will try get it working or sell it on ebay

The police weren't all that interested so I'm not sure they would have got someone out to go with us, plus if anything had gone wrong and they'd got away they have my name, address etc. Also worked out how you can make calls even with the lock on so thats made me feel a little better knowing they couldn't get into my actual phone, but no doubt its wiped by now anyway. The insurance excess is only £75 anyway and you never know I might get a 4S replacement :)

One creepy thing is that someone rang our doorbell this morning but then left, even though I answered more or less straight away and went out but couldn't see anyone in the close. Might not be connected but its got me thinking.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Last edited: