What's new

Locked Out Of Iphone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevy01

Reaction score
Ok, so about a week and a half ago I broke up with my gf, and I had given her an iphone 4 because she broke hers. Once we broke up I demanded I get the iPhone back, so she gave it to me. It was dead when she gave it to me so I figured i would go home and charge it and use it as my phone since I still have the iPhone 3gs. Well, little did I know that when I charged the phone up it had a passcode on it. I texted her about it and she told me that she "forgot the passcode". She has since blocked me from text messages, phone calls, facebook, ect. I tried to figure out the passcode cause i figured that it had to be something with both our names or something in it. Well, now that I have tried all that I am now officially locked out of the iphone. What should I do now?

Chevy01 said:
Ok, so about a week and a half ago I broke up with my gf, and I had given her an iphone 4 because she broke hers. Once we broke up I demanded I get the iPhone back, so she gave it to me. It was dead when she gave it to me so I figured i would go home and charge it and use it as my phone since I still have the iPhone 3gs. Well, little did I know that when I charged the phone up it had a passcode on it. I texted her about it and she told me that she "forgot the passcode". She has since blocked me from text messages, phone calls, facebook, ect. I tried to figure out the passcode cause i figured that it had to be something with both our names or something in it. Well, now that I have tried all that I am now officially locked out of the iphone. What should I do now?

Restore and setup as new through itunes.

Is it a phone bought and used with the carrier its locked to? Just making sure in case we need to do custom ipsw.

If not, then just restore/setup as new through itunes should do the trick

Its locked to AT&T, which is what both of us had/have. I also have tried to do the restore trick with the phone in restore mode but an error came up and it didn't work. I was thinking that maybe the error came up since the phone has no sim card in it? I'll try do restore it again here real quick and let you know what happens.

Chevy01 said:
Its locked to AT&T, which is what both of us had/have. I also have tried to do the restore trick with the phone in restore mode but an error came up and it didn't work. I was thinking that maybe the error came up since the phone has no sim card in it? I'll try do restore it again here real quick and let you know what happens.

What number error did you get? You gotta tell me so i can help.
Was it jailbroken?

Im running the restore right now. I just went upstairs to check on it and the same error came up, it has no numbers or anything with it, just says, "This iPhone cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device service is not started".

Reinstalling iTunes will solve your problem. If you tell me what operating system you computer is running there is a quicker way to restart the server...

Chevy01 said:
Im running the restore right now. I just went upstairs to check on it and the same error came up, it has no numbers or anything with it, just says, "This iPhone cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device service is not started".

That means you need to stop/restart Apple mobile service on your Pc. Its got an issue with the cable (usb port or usb cable).

Windows Vista or Windows 7
Close iTunes and disconnect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Click the Windows Start button .
In the Start Search field type
Services
In the Programs section of the search results, Click "Services".
Select Apple Mobile Device and click Stop and then click Start again

If that does not work, you will need to
1) check your usb drivers for possible updates
2) go to control panel, uninstall everything Apple (bonjour service, itunes, apple device driver, apple update service), perform a restart and reinstall

Im runnin Windows XP on that computer.
Ok, I will try that.

Chevy01 said:
Im runnin Windows XP on that computer.
Ok, I will try that.

Also run as administrator if you have xP when you run itunes.

For XP
Close iTunes and disconnect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Choose Start > Control Panel.
Inside the Control Panel, open Administrative Tools.
Open Services.
Select Apple Mobile Device and click Stop the service and then start

I figured it out on how to get to services with the windows desktop search. I looked at the apple mobile device services and here it was never started so now that I started it the restore is going through good so far, I will let you know if it successfully goes through. Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Chevy01 said:
I figured it out on how to get to services with the windows desktop search. I looked at the apple mobile device services and here it was never started so now that I started it the restore is going through good so far, I will let you know if it successfully goes through. Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Great!

Let me know if you need anything hun.

The phone has successfully been restored. Thank you for all your help. Now all I gotta do is go to the AT&T store to get a smaller SIM card thanks to apples infinite wisdom for making the iPhone with a smaller SIM for AT&T.

Chevy01 said:
The phone has successfully been restored. Thank you for all your help. Now all I gotta do is go to the AT&T store to get a smaller SIM card thanks to apples infinite wisdom for making the iPhone with a smaller SIM for AT&T.

Most new phones are going to switch to microsim, its not just Apple.

And get a less mean girlfriend (or call her and go "Nanananana"

Last edited:
If there really was a girlfriend..... I hate to be so negative, but people give out advice here so readily when we really don't know the true story.....

xrayeyes said:
If there really was a girlfriend..... I hate to be so negative, but people give out advice here so readily when we really don't know the true story.....

Whatever the story may be mate. I think advice and help are offered not just to one person but all the apple community.so let's not think about negatives. Though I understand what u mean. Good job imeriline!

Status
Not open for further replies.