What's new

Help...iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4

JoeBCool

Reaction score
Senior citizen just got a $250. Gift cert from the apple store and now wants some advice on how to spend it on which phone. I am lucky enough to have an iPad already and now again get an iPhone but which to get and how best to spend my money. Limited calls , next to no texting , but do need it for help and security when traveling, etc..
So a 8Gb iPhone 3GS for 99$ or a 16gb iPhone 4 for $199 ?
And then to decide on the plan(s) ????
TY for nay advice,
OLD Joe in PA

If you want the latest and greatest (Retina display, faster processor, etc. I'd go with the IP4. 3GS is pretty good too. But if you're like me, I wanted the newer version. Hope that helps ;)

iphone4 is definitely superior to 3GS in almost every way, the real question is will YOU notice the difference? I would ask myself what is it i really use my phone for? Simply making and receiving calls? do you need/use the internet on the go? do you need access to your mail 24/7? do you need GPS and navigation? Are you interested in apps for gaming or simply making life easier? Do u need to keep track of a calendar with important dates? The more of these questions you say yes to the more i would recommend the extra cash for the iphone4. If your a more "basic" user and most of those things seem "out of your realm" then the 3GS will suffice.

To JoeBCool, the comments by rynorod32 were excellent. However, you have to look beyond the cost of the phone -- and that is your monthly plan cost. For a smartphone you will need a data plan (Internet) whether you use it or not, in addition to your voice plan. Expect to pay over $70/mo for a mediocre iPhone 4 plan for a single user. But what the heck, enjoy!

TY for all of your advice and comments. They are all helpful!!
Joe

All the above help is great and true but if you want the lastest I'd go for I4. I have a 3GS and I haven't had any problems with it, except for camera quality which I4 is dominate due to the better camera and picture quality along with the flash. Trust me I don't how much you travel but if your somewhere at night u definitely want that flash to maybe record something or take picture to cherish forever. I wanted one for christmas but am now waiting til next month maybe. If you just like a good phone to maybe surf a little and not really do anything else I would go with 3GS - if you want to get most out of phone just go with 4 and make that your baby ..:) hope all these ideas help and good luck .....