What's new

Is iphone 3gs still good/decent?

Grimreaper

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm looking to buy an unlocked phone. I like android and IOS, but i prefer ios because it is more polished overall, I think android has a little ways to go yet, but I still will consider buying an unlocked android.
Anyway, I would like to get an iphone 4 used, but everyone wants about 225$ for them, I don't really want to pay that much. Iphone 3gs's go for about 100$-120$ in good condition. Iphone 4 is almost double its price. Are iphone 3g's still pretty good? Are they really laggy, slow, and just really outdated? I don't have a good phone right now, So if its not top notch super fast blazing speed it will be fine, I don't need some quad core procesor, just somthing that is pretty decent and not overly laggy or bad. I know it won't get any more updates, but thats ok. So just in general, does it seem super slow now? How much better is a 4 in terms of performance? Because the iphone 3gs is much much cheaper and I can't afford a whole lot right now. I am talking about 16gb models for both.
Also, what would you say is better, an iphone 3gs or an ipod touch 4th generation? I could just get an ipod and keep my non-smartphone, or I could get an iphone 3gs. But i'd rather have one device instead of 2. How much better is one than the other? The 3gs has ips i think(right?, or not?) for viewing angles the ipod touch doesn't, 3gs has 3mp cam, but no front facing cam, no retina display, probably slower, better design on the back than the shiny silver metal on the ipod. But in general, how do these devices compare?

Or would i just be better off getting a nexus s on jellybean for 150$ used?

KEEP THIS IN MIND-
I will NOT be using data, I WILL ONLY BE USING THE WEB ON WIFI
I would like to put music on it,
download a decent amount of apps and what not,
and have a somewhat decent camera, doesn't have to be great.
surf the web, email

So overall, is the iphone 3gs still good, how does it compare to the ipod touch 4th gen and the iphone 4, and would the 3gs work just fine for the things I mentioned, or should I just spend more and get the 4 or an android?

Sorry its soo long, but thanks

You'd probably be OK for a while, but eventually as IOS gets upgraded the 3GS will run it's course. I don't know when that will happen of course, may be years but for what you want I think you'd be OK with that.

I see a lot of people with 3Gs in this forum. I'm new to iPhone myself, I know that for me an iPhone 4 would not cater to my needs. 4Gs, perhaps, I believe that can do 4G service.

I'm also a very experienced Android phone owner and I don't know what you're looking at but IMHO until the 4Gs arrived iPhone could not stand up against Android. I have owned the original Droid, Droid 2, and Droid Bionic.

I like having everything tidy, and that's what I get from Apple. Android, IMHO has too many manufacturers all playing with the same OS.

On the other hand, my Bionic would wipe the floor up of any iPhone 3G and it's now running ICS. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The iPhone 4S (4GS) does NOT HAVE 4G. The only 4G supported iPhone is the iPhone 5. About the topic of the prices.. You can probably pick up an iPhone 4 for around 130-160 on Craigslist if you're willing to go that route. That's the cheapest way I've seen people buy iPhones, I do it myself too. Factory Unlocking an AT&T iPhone is very cheap too so you shouldn't have any worries with that part.