What's new

Help! Cant send SMS

pichienyfl

Reaction score
Hey guys, im really hoping someone can help me out here. I have a iPhone 4s (model A1387) that was originally w/ sprint. My roommate had it unlocked and switched over to T-mobile and had no problems. He gave me the phone and I upgraded to iOS 7. (I know it removed the unlock). I still have the same GPP and a new SIM card. I got it unlocked using a program called R-SIM NANO3G. It also installed an APN profile called China Unicom APN and a provision called mixtool (pic below). Now heres my problem. The top left of my screen says T-Mobile (good) I can make and receive calls and I can receive SMS but I cannot send SMS, send or receive MMS or access the web. I went into setting/cellular but there isnt the normal option for entering APN info or anything (see pic below). T-mobile has been no help. Can anyone help me out please?

$IMG_2720.jpg$IMG_2721.jpg

Did you go to the China Unicom website? They should have support to help you set up your APN...that is the issue I would imagine.

no i havnt. But Theres no option to set up the apn.

Since you're looking to use it with T-Mobile, you'll need the T-Mobile APNs. From my experience, if GPP provies APNs, it's either old/bad APN settings, or none at all. Head over unlockit.co.nz on your device, look for US - T-Mobile (nothing next to it, meaning the one without the LTE and Old)

I should also mention that at first i tried to port my number over to T-Mobile but then after about 2 hrs i canceld that. T-mobiles customer service told me that canceling the port could take up to 48 hrs (its been 4 days already) and can cause a lot of issues. Not sure how true that statement is.

nope. still not working and still no internet. I cant get into the cellular settings.

Not completely sure with T-Mobile as it's been years since I was with T-Mobile's service, but I don't believe porting the number would affect your ability to go online and such assuming that you have an active account with them that's attached to the SIM. You might have trouble calling and messaging possibly because your number is somewhat in limbo, but data should still be working if you have the proper APN in this case. You might have to verify this with T-Mobile CS maybe? Or maybe another member with a bit more experience/interaction with T-Mobile can chime in.

For Verizon, if your number is in the process of being ported, you may experience a slight off-beat with 2G services (calling and messaging), but data is working still as it's not number related but rather device related

EDIT: See if the manual setup works

- Select Settings.

- Select General.

- Select Network or Cellular

- Select Cellular Data Network.

- Under Cellular Data Option

APN: epc.tmobile.com

Username:

Password:

- Under MMS Option

APN: epc.tmobile.com

Username:

Password:

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080

MMS Max Message Size: 1048576

MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/UAProf.rdf

- Click Network Tab up the top to save

Credit: Unlockit.co.nz

Last edited:
Willerz2 I don't have those options under cellular. Check out my pic above. It's missing. Just shows cellular date on/off and roaming on/off

I'll see if I can get my hands on a T-Mobile SIM and if I can dig up my old R-SIM to test it out and see if I can replicate the issue.

Quick update. Just got back from t-mobile with a new SIM card. Still not working.

One more update. I had assume what I had was a GPP SIM card. I do not. I have something that looks like a chip that attaches to the tmobile SIM card. On the back of it it says GPP. I think it's called a Falwok

To be honest, they're all the same for the most part. Gevey = GPP = R-SIM just that their labels are different, and they might tack on a few extra colors onto the interposer itself. No real working difference.