What's new

Hello just came from a Droid to Iphone yesterday.

keystonejohnny

Reaction score
Hello, Name is John. Live in Pittsburgh. I had a Droid one for about two years my first real smartphone. I liked it alot but after playing with a buddies iphone for a little I decided I liked how fluid and quick it was in comparison to my Droid. Don't need a 4g phone and it seems like my browser is faster on 3g on the Iphone than the Droid. I have Verizon and figured I would give the Iphone a shot. I'm still trying to find crossover apps that are similar to the Droid. Trying not to do the "jailbreak" thing I see mentioned alot. But I would love to know how to tether the darn thing as I paid 15.00 for an app on my Droid and it worked perfectly. I also am trying to find a program to help it with texting. The suggested words thing doesn't work quick enough for me. When you text on a Droid the first letter you type it automatically starts suggesting words of what it thinks you are trying to type and then you just tap space as soon as you see its right. Overall so far I'm digging the phone though!

Read through the forum to find most answers to your questions. Welcome to the forum.

Hello, Name is John. Live in Pittsburgh. I had a Droid one for about two years my first real smartphone. I liked it alot but after playing with a buddies iphone for a little I decided I liked how fluid and quick it was in comparison to my Droid. Don't need a 4g phone and it seems like my browser is faster on 3g on the Iphone than the Droid. I have Verizon and figured I would give the Iphone a shot. I'm still trying to find crossover apps that are similar to the Droid. Trying not to do the "jailbreak" thing I see mentioned alot. But I would love to know how to tether the darn thing as I paid 15.00 for an app on my Droid and it worked perfectly. I also am trying to find a program to help it with texting. The suggested words thing doesn't work quick enough for me. When you text on a Droid the first letter you type it automatically starts suggesting words of what it thinks you are trying to type and then you just tap space as soon as you see its right. Overall so far I'm digging the phone though!

hello John from Pittsburgh and welcome to the forum!

app to help with texting? what help? there is dragon dictation you can speak into the iphone and just copy/paste the text into the message that might help? a free app fromt he app store but the iphone does the same, but when you type the whole word it suggests other words..

not sure about the tethering though as i have never done it

Thanks for the comments guys. Unleashed thanks for the app recc. I will look into it. Debating to jailbreak the phone for the tethering.

You can tether without jailbreaking by using the inbuilt personal hotspot feature. You will need a tethering plan from verzion.

Or if you do decide to jailbreak install mywi for a one off fee...

What are the real downsides of Jailbreaking. I only hear about the great things?

there are down sides! its not all good..

1. jailbreak apps can really reduce battery life for the good apps/ on the flip side there are apps like auto 3g that save battery life..

2.jailbreaking can take ages to be released for each new firmware and you end up waiting ages so you can download your apps you paid for or downloaded free or to be able to upgrade to newer firmware and jailbreak.

3. some times you pay for a jailbreak app and the dev runs away or never ports the app to a newer firmware free or pay for apps... can be very annoying if you find a sweet app that never gets ported. but usually some one else makes an app that does the same thing thats some times better. for example LogoME in 2.XX firmware or was it 3.XX? i forget but the point is that it allowed you to put any boot logo picture you wanted and it never got ported. only in 4.XX the devs made animate that lets you even have an animated boot logo... so it worked out ok... and also a guy called himself MeDevil made a bluetooth send/receive app he took every ones money and run off and the app never even worked properly and he admitted in the FAQ that it does not have the proper coding and he knew no one would read the FAQ so he made a tone of cash and then run off with peoples money.. then now there is celeste that actually works, so it all works out in the end..

cant think of any more down sides.. maybe some one else wants to add to it