What's new

hello.....first day with iPhone..try to update now i can't use it

logikism

Reaction score
i got an iPhone 3g with 4.1 sw and it asked for an update i tried it had error and now stuck on in recovery mode.

i can't get it off!!!

i tried pwnagetool.....says its the wrong ipsw

i tried tiny umbrella it just does a boot cycle and goes right back to the usb plug with the iTunes logo screen

HELP!!!!!!! i haven't even put the sim card in yet!

also with tiny umbrella i tried the "fix recovery" button...that made the app unresponsive and did nothing to phone...

oh and i got a mac

if you are in recovery mode with the UBS cable displaying on the screen, connect it to iTunes and iTunes should be able to detect it, however iTunes might not know what is the IPSW it should load into the phone, so first go ahead and manually download the appropriate IPSW file for your iPhone from internet or from Apple Official Website. Save the IPSW file which you download at a location you can easily reach, like on your desktop. When iTunes detect your iPhone in recovery mode and suggest you to restore it, agree to it, then press and keep shift key down and click on restore in iTunes, a dialogue box will pop up, navigate to you desktop to locate the IPSW files which you've previously downloaded from internet or from Apple Official Website. Follow on screen instruction and let iTunes restore your iPhone for you. Good luck.

ok i tried that...

this is what popped up
$Screen Shot 2011-11-22 at 9.58.27 PM.jpg

also please don't forget this phone was unlocked when i tried to update and I'm using a mac to try and fix this

Last edited:
yeah that message you are getting is legit, a factory restore will basically format your iPhone, you will be able to get back you files data, contacts etc... only if you have a backup of your files. As for the unlocking, you can always jailbreak your phone after factory restoring it, once you jailbreak it, you can unlock it, ah well it's will also depend on your baseband.

yes but the while problem is it WILL NOT do any type of restore or update!!! i believe i need to flash a new rom on it somehow.....i see many ways via PC but not so many via mac.

I've tried and NO apps recognize the ipsw file i got from apple