What's new

Having problems after updating to iOS11

lotus7102

Reaction score
My iPhone 5s was working perfectly until i decided to update to iOS 11
My phone just keep restarting and open itself over and over again.
There is a small 1 minute interval after it open itself before it restarts and the loop won't stop even after I tried all the troubleshooting methods with the Apple Support.
Then, I've been asked if I want to service the phone since all the methods did not solve the problem.

So my question is, By updating iOS causing phone to become unusable, so I have to pay for it?
or My phone is too old to update?

More members will be able to help for sure, but according to Apple your iPhone 5s is not too old for iOS 11

My phone just keeps restarting and open itself, I tried factory reset, didnt work
I also tried downgrading to iOS 10 but it says failed to restore phone, unknown error :(

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Brixtonboy is right. Your iPhone is one of the devices eligible for the update to iOS 11. Otherwise you wouldn’t have been able to update.

The only software available for downgrade is iOS 10.3.3. If you tried a different one, or an .ipsw file designed for a different iPhone, you’ll get an error 3194.

This will help downgrading:
How To Downgrade iOS 11 To iOS 10.3.3 / iOS 10 [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie
You’ll have to do this, as long as Apple is still signing the software. It’s still possible at the moment.

Is it necessary to use the "provided" USB cable?
meaning to say if i use another USB cable bought from phone store will not work?
As I did the downgrading process, I followed everything written in the guide. The only thing is that i didnt use the provided USB cable as it is damaged.
The error I get is "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured(14)" and my phone just stuck at the white loading screen with a black apple logo, the loading bar below it stuck at the beginning as well.

Is it necessary to use the "provided" USB cable?
meaning to say if i use another USB cable bought from phone store will not work?
As I did the downgrading process, I followed everything written in the guide. The only thing is that i didnt use the provided USB cable as it is damaged.
The error I get is "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured(14)" and my phone just stuck at the white loading screen with a black apple logo, the loading bar below it stuck at the beginning as well.

It is possible the USB cable is the issue, it has happened before with non Apple cables. Do you know anyone you can borrow an Apple cable from to try?

The USB cable you use has to work with your iPhone and the computer. It should be from Apple, or certified by Apple:
Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories
If you tried it before, and iTunes showed your iPhone without problems, something else is the reason for your issue.

Try a different USB port on your computer, or use a different computer, if possible.
Here are a few other things to try:
Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes
Also, disable third party security software, as these also might cause errors. Make sure your network is reliable.

Will try. But can it be possible that if the phone never updated to iOS 10 that caused this problem?
I think the phone is 9.xx and I update the phone to iOS 11 straight away

P/S : my phone sometimes restarts itself even in recovery mode, in the middle of recovering too.
is it normal?

Updating from iOS 9 to 11 shouldn’t be a problem. In that case, it’s better to update via iTunes on your computer, not over the air.

I haven’t restored my iDevices for quite some time, but as far as I remember, they also restarted during the process, in recovery mode.

Last edited:
I mean the phone restarts during the extracting process but will update after i try out the certified cable

Glad I stumbled upon this thread because I was not even sure that the notice I had to upgrade to 11 was from Apple. My phone has not been doing super well since I upgraded to the 10.3.3. In order for 10.3.3 to work, I also had to upgrade to Sierra on my Mac. My Mac seems okay, but my phone seems to function a bit differently now than it used to do, e.g. how to hang up phone calls.

Well, I do not think I will upgrade to 11 for a good while until I know all bugs are worked out. I am not very tech savvy, and once something goes wrong, it takes me a long time to get it fixed (the community here is always so helpful, though). I have 5s, too, by the way, and I use a connector/charger purchased from Apple. I think it is best to avoid those other brands. Pay a bit more and get the right thing is my motto. I spent too many miserable years used Windows based computers---never ever again. Now, I am only interested in Mac and iPhone.

had a error 3503 when i tried to restore, even to iOS11 (before this my phone is able to restore back to iOS11 with no problem)
now my phone stuck at recovery mode (a plug pointing to iTunes) it goes back to recovery mode even i tried to restart it

The USB cable you use has to work with your iPhone and the computer. It should be from Apple, or certified by Apple:
Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories
If you tried it before, and iTunes showed your iPhone without problems, something else is the reason for your issue.

Try a different USB port on your computer, or use a different computer, if possible.
Here are a few other things to try:
Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes
Also, disable third party security software, as these also might cause errors. Make sure your network is reliable.

Not necessarily. I used to have problems charging or using the cord to transfer data, and after awhile started having problems charging, or plugged to the computer, but found that like all Apple cords, they break at the end that plugs into the phone. I think every Apple iPhone user has experienced that. It’s the one thing I hate about IPhones. However, it’s possible one of the wires inside the cable has broke or is getting ready to, even before the outside sheathing ruptures where it’s visible.

Another problem is, and this happened to me, I started getting messages on the phone saying the accessory I plugged in is not authorized or something like that. I thought it was the cable breaking, so I got another one. It happened again two or so months later, bought another. I had started buying off brand ones because I figured if they are going to break, I might as well buy cheaper ones. By this time, my 5s was not lasting long on a charge, and like the original poster, started having issues turning on and off by itself, not wanting to stay charged, wouldn’t let me transfer things to the computer. So, three months ago I finally traded it in for a new 7+. While I was looking, I was talking to the sales person and explained the charging problems. She asked if the plug that goes into the wall plug was new or old. I said old. She picked the old phone up and kind of waved it, and charging symbol would turn off and on, and the phone would beep. So she held the charging cuff and wiggled it down by the plug and yep it did it again. So she unplugged it, and showed me what was happening. The computer board the cord plugs into was loose inside the housing. That’s why I was having problems with off brand cords all the time. It wasn’t because it was “unauthorized” it was because the USB plug was old, and wore out. The att person said that almost all charging problems can be because if the USB male plug inside the wall plug gets worn out and breaks off, where the only thing holding it is the wires, or the plastic around has worn down, thus nit holding the female plug tight.

anyone have any idea about the error 3503?
my phone now stucks in recovery mode, unable to go out of it (considering my restart problem sometimes get the phone out of the recovery mode itself)
now my phone just restart and back to the recovery mode

Go to www.icloud.com on a computer, log in, and go to your devices. Turn off "Find my iPhone" for the iPhone, then connect your iPhone to iTunes and try restoring once more.