What's new

iPhone 3GS crashes on slide to set up after DFU restore

Fenza

Reaction score
First of all my 3GS worked perfectly fine before it got water damage. Once dry i realised the backlight wasn't working but also i couldn't play any videos or music. When trying to play a song the phone would look like its about to play the song as usual but then after a second or two, switch back to the playlist.

I took it all apart, cleaned the backlight coil with Isopropyl alcohol, cleaned all the other residue left from the water and changed the digitizer screen because that was smashed. When i turned the phone back on the backlight worked, touch screen worked fine, but still no sound. btw it wouldn't play sound through the ear phones either.

I hadn't updated the phone in a while was running IOS 4.3 or something, so decided to try updating to IOS 6 and see if that fixed the problem, during the update the phone failed to backup properly and that interupted the updating. I couldnt restore to the previous backup because that had been over written by the new backup so i tried to restore to original settings wchich would also update to IOS 6 too. This also failed to work properly. At this point my phone seemed to be in an endless restart loop only displaying the apple logo for a minute or two before the screen went blank and started all over again.

I then tried setting it up as a new phone and restoring in DFU mode, this seemed to work but now my phone just gets stuck on the slide to set up screen and crashed after 10 seconds or so and the phone restarts. This is also just an endless loop. The next screen after the initial slide to set up shows for a split second before the screen goes blank and the phone restarts.

I have no idea where to go from here, i've searched the forums for similar issues but i havn't found a single one. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like the water damage is finally fully damaging your iPhone... Have you tried restoring your iPhone without the sim card in the phone? and then just put in the sim when it asks for it on the screen.

yeah ive tried putting the sim card in after but it doesn't help. The screen just remains asking for to put the sim card in then crashes as usual :( Untill i tried updating everything else apart from the sound worked so i still have hope for fixing it. I'll try taking it all apart and cleaning it again, see if it makes any difference.

If you could load up to the setting screen, that means most of or all of your device works fine. Try restoring once again. Put your device into recovery mode first if it reboot loops and you can't DFU it. Might be a bad restore that's all

Thanks for your reply willerz2, it loads up to the setting screen but doesn't progress at all, it freezes for a while then restarts after a quick flash of the next stage on the settings. I've took it all apart and given it a VERY thorough clean so i can be 99.9% sure theres no more corrosion and the connector ribbons are all fastened properly. Btw ive just realised each restore i've done has been in Recovery Mode not DFU. I've actually lost count the amount of times i've tried a restore, do you think i should reinstall iTunes? can't figure why every restore could be bad.

Try a restore in DFU mode. DFU stands for device firmware update, which secures the upgrade and makes sure that it upgrades totally and properly. iTunes shouldn't affect it unless it's a 160X error where you might need to re-install the driver. That might be the reason.

Thanks for your wisdom willerz2, ill try a DFU mode restore.