What's new

Apps Keep Crashing

retrobong

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with all apps on iOS 5 crashing? The problem started on my 3GS iOS 4.3. Anything I open from Safari to messages to phone to settings would go black and the phone crashes back to the home screen. I took my phone to a genius bar and they suggested restoring to factory settings. I did and ended up not restore any backups to avoid having any profile issues carry over.

My phone worked fine up until I bought the 4s. Within 2 days of activating my phone, the same issue where all apps crashed happened again. I did another new restore and the phone worked for 1 week until the issue showed up again. I took the 4s to the genius bar and they replaced it with a new phone. That lasted a week and the problem started again. I did another restore and the phone worked until today.

So in all I've done 6 restores over the span of about 2 months and the problem still exists. I've done numerous cache clears, soft restarts, and hard restarts and nothing is solving the problem.

Does any one have any insight on how I can make my phone usable again?

If it helps, here's a list of 3rd party apps I have installed.

Convertbot
All Fitness
MyFitnessPal
Aw Craps!
Chess Free
Hanging Free (Hanging with Friends)
Instagram
Netflix
Solebon (Solitaire)
Sudoku2
ColorSplash
Dictionary
Find Friends
KAYAK
mSecure
Realtor.com
Shazam
Sketchbook
Urbanspoon
Facebook
NYTimes (Newsstand)

My phone forces itself to the homescreen every once in a while too. Not all the time though...4S here.

This is all the time. The phone would work for 5 minutes, then it crashes to the home screen. Then I go through about 5 or 6 instances where I try to open the safari or message app and would crash immediately. Then the loop starts over again.

My phone is nearly unusable.

So after I posted this thread, my phone started acting normal again until yesterday. After a very frustrating day, I decided to download an app called System Manager. This app shows 4 memory stages (Wired, Active, Inactive, and Free) and I'm watching as my free memory drains from about 350 mb to almost 0mb before the app crashes - all while wired, active, and inactive memory percentage never changes much. I also noticed that the page ins figure increase as the free memory drops, but the page outs figure only go up on crash.

There is a major memory leak issue with my phone.

I deleted all 3rd party apps (save this one) and the issue is still ongoing. I'm at a complete loss and will have to go back to the genius bar once again.

The system manager app also displays all processes running, but I can't find a processes list for iOS. If anyone has any info on these processes it would be much appreciated.

System manager
MobileMail
Mobilephone
ubd
dataaccessd
aosnotifyd
iapd
networkd
BTServer
aggregated
apsd
fairplayd.n94
fseventsd
imagent
mDNSResponder
mediaremoted
mediaserverd
wifid
locationd
powerd
lockdownd
CommCenter
syslogd
SpringBoard
configd
notifyd
UserEventAgent
launchd
kernal_task

just had a look at that app interesting

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

retrobong said:
Does your free memory percentage stay stable?

not that stable it moves up and down the scale

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net