What's new

has anyone else noticed that iPhone charging cable's tend to break near the connecto

MacGuyver

Reaction score
I've seen this on a lot of iPhone charging cables , and I was just curious to know if others have noticed this as well. The sheathing around the cable tends to break , exposing the wires inside, and then eventually the wires will bend more easily due to the fact that there is no outer cover. The inner wires are quite thin , and bending them back and forth through normal usage will eventually cause the wire to break.

I don't understand why apple wouldn't make the sheathing more durable.

here's a youtube tutorial I found that seems like a good fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had that problem either, I'm not saying that this is the case but one should never pull out the cable by pulling on it, Always grasp the connector.

I also have 3 iPhones plus one iPad no issues at, all. The only time I lost a cable was when my puppy destroyed it,... Usually this problem is due to the way the cable is removed one must hold the connector when removing it

I got 3 cables that don't work and two more that are doing the same thing

I have used the same cables for my iphone for the last 2 years and have the same experience as DaveM....no problems whatsoever. I always make sure to pull directly from the connector and not by the USB lead. I also still have my 30 inch pin connector for my iPod Classic and it too is good to go.

Using the phone while it is charging a lot can cause that kind if wear. My old iPhone 4 cable unraveled half way down. I had it taped with electrical tape. The newer cables hold up better, but will still start to unravel in time if using the phone while charging a lot. I use a 10' certified Monoprice cable some, and it is holding up well.

I always pull it out from the connector , not the cable.
I may have overstated things when I said "a lot" , as I've only seen it happen to 5 people's cable, but still , it is more than I think it should happen to. I will have to ask them if they were pulling on the cable , or the connector.

As for the one that I own, that this happened to , I got the phone already used from someone, so I don't know how they were handling it previous to giving it to me.

The cables that Apple provide are solid cables and should last the lifetime of the phone if used in the correct manner as we have advised.

I've had this happen, but only to non-Apple cables. The sheathing just pulls out from flexing (usually hanging from the plug assy or from coiling up). I have many apple cables both lightning and 30 pin and have never seen them fail.

Two 30 pin cables still in use with the iPhone 4S and iPad3 were from a 3GS when it was new, so they have seen some use

I have Apple care and have exchanged my lightening cable twice (most recently, last week) since the lightening cables first came out with the IP5. I am very careful when I handle the cable and believe that the damage occurred when the phone was dropped while plugged in. Never had this problem with the old 30 pin connection. I am just glad this is covered with Applecare.