What's new

Hard reset?

Chris951

Reaction score
Will hard resetting (holding sleep/wake and home button for 10 seconds) frequently cause any damage to my phone? Ive been doing it once a day just to keep it running smooth. I realize I don't have to but I like to. But I've been reading online that it should only be a last resort if your phone is acting up. Is this true? If so, would soft resetting (hold sleep/wake button then slide to power off) my phone every morning be bad? Should I do a soft reset instead of a hard reset every morning?

No damage. Not really necessary, but no damage

thewitt said:
No damage. Not really necessary, but no damage

Ok thank you. I think im just gonna soft reset everyday though just incase.

Does anyone else have input on this?

Last edited:
Ok thank you. I think im just gonna soft reset everyday though just incase.

Does anyone else have input on this?

There is no need to hard reset the phone every day. Do that when you think that the phone is having minor issues.

bab2010 said:
There is no need to hard reset the phone every day. Do that when you think that the phone is having minor issues.

My question wasn't whether or not to do it everyday. It was about whether or not it can cause harm to the phone in any way.

My question wasn't whether or not to do it everyday. It was about whether or not it can cause harm to the phone in any way.
Actually Chris... you asked just that in the last line of your first post.
Should I do a soft reset instead of a hard reset every morning?
Either way... I find it hard to believe that anything an Apple Genius advises you to do with your iDevice could pose detrimental.

thomasjtsi said:
Actually Chris... you asked just that in the last line of your first post.Either way... I find it hard to believe that anything an Apple Genius advises you to do with your iDevice could pose detrimental.

No, I was asking which type of reset should I do. I just read on google that if you do it a lot it could mess up your phone. I have OCD and literally have to reset it everyday or I'll think my phone is going slow which is really why I'm wondering which one would be more "safe". But if it poses no harm to my phone then I'll keep on doin what I'm doin. Or maybe not lol.

What does a hard reset actually do that a soft reset doesn't do? I read something about cache?

What does a hard reset actually do that a soft reset doesn't do? I read something about cache?
It clears the cache that sits on your phones memory (RAM) which builds everything you see and use on the iDevice... allows it to start fresh w/o losing any data.

Chris951 said:
No, I was asking which type of reset should I do. I just read on google that if you do it a lot it could mess up your phone. I have OCD and literally have to reset it everyday or I'll think my phone is going slow which is really why I'm wondering which one would be more "safe". But if it poses no harm to my phone then I'll keep on doin what I'm doin. Or maybe not lol.

You know, iOS is natively programmed to push things put of memory when it's low on RAM. Although it won't push out vital tasks (phone, mail, messaging).

Basically if you have a video game running and you open a few more apps (make a phone call, look up the weather, listen to music), the OS will push the game out of memory to make room for your current tasks. That's why some apps you have open in the multi-taking tray will "boot" back up instead of starting back where you left it. It was pushed out of the memory to make more memory for current tasks. :)

That's the beauty of iOS. :)

darkstar2007 said:
You know, iOS is natively programmed to push things put of memory when it's low on RAM. Although it won't push out vital tasks (phone, mail, messaging).

Basically if you have a video game running and you open a few more apps (make a phone call, look up the weather, listen to music), the OS will push the game out of memory to make room for your current tasks. That's why some apps you have open in the multi-taking tray will "boot" back up instead of starting back where you left it. It was pushed out of the memory to make more memory for current tasks. :)

That's the beauty of iOS. :)

Good info! I had no idea lol. Thanks :)