What's new

guessing game

E

erinbeth_ny

I am still waiting for my iphone 4 16 G that I ordered in the store last Friday. Realistically, will I have it by July 16? I am going on a long car trip and really want the phone.
I am new to all of this so here are my other questions...
Should I get MobileMe?
Is there no insurance on the phone--just the mobile me find a phone feature and the protection plan? I have lost one phone and broken one so insurance has been nice for me!
As far as navigation should I get an app or should I pay for the ATT navigation? I used that on my last trip and it was okay. Not as great as my DH's garmin.

I am still waiting for my iphone 4 16 G that I ordered in the store last Friday. Realistically, will I have it by July 16? I am going on a long car trip and really want the phone.
I am new to all of this so here are my other questions...
Should I get MobileMe?
Is there no insurance on the phone--just the mobile me find a phone feature and the protection plan? I have lost one phone and broken one so insurance has been nice for me!
As far as navigation should I get an app or should I pay for the ATT navigation? I used that on my last trip and it was okay. Not as great as my DH's garmin.

I'n my opinion mobile me is best for keeping contacts and calendars updated across multiple devices such as Mac/iPad/iPhone. Seeing as I don't need all my contacts everywhere it's just not worth the $99.

Should I get MobileMe?

Using MobileMe depends on how much you want to keep everything in sync. I use gmail, calendar, contacts, docs which involves absolutely no syncing whatsoever. I used to be an Outlook user (PC) and sync everything on home and work laptops with my Blackberry. Google's stuff has proven to be the best option for me with my iPhone 3G because whenever I access/edit anything "it is what it is." Make an appointment on my iPhone and its the same calendar I see on my laptop screen. With iP4's new Exchange for multiple accounts, my wife can see all my appointments on her iP4 and I can see hers (well, I'll be able to whenever my phone arrives). The real upside, Google stuff is free and instantaneous - I NEVER have to sync anything again!

There is insurance on the phone - It's $11.99 per month through AT&T. These phones cost alot so $144 per year may seem like a good investment. Financial guru Dave Ramsey says it is not. Just put the $12 each month in your savings account in case you need it. Then if you do not, you've got that much toward your next phone (iP5?).

Should I get MobileMe?

Using MobileMe depends on how much you want to keep everything in sync. I use gmail, calendar, contacts, docs which involves absolutely no syncing whatsoever. I used to be an Outlook user (PC) and sync everything on home and work laptops with my Blackberry. Google's stuff has proven to be the best option for me with my iPhone 3G because whenever I access/edit anything "it is what it is." Make an appointment on my iPhone and its the same calendar I see on my laptop screen. With iP4's new Exchange for multiple accounts, my wife can see all my appointments on her iP4 and I can see hers (well, I'll be able to whenever my phone arrives). The real upside, Google stuff is free and instantaneous - I NEVER have to sync anything again!

There is insurance on the phone - It's $11.99 per month through AT&T. These phones cost alot so $144 per year may seem like a good investment. Financial guru Dave Ramsey says it is not. Just put the $12 each month in your savings account in case you need it. Then if you do not, you've got that much toward your next phone (iP5?).

I think the AT&T deal has a $199 deductible, which I suppose is ok compared to the $500-700 to replace the phone. Best Buy has 14.99 a month plan with no deductible, includes all damage and malfunctions- accidental or not- but not loss or theft. I would think you'd have to buy your phone there, but I'm not 100% sure so it's worth asking if you're interested.

I put a special "rider" policy on my homeowners insurance that covers all electronic gear up to $15000- damage, loss theft. It has a no deductible and only adds $35 a year to my policy. Sweet deal, the only possible hitch is that a claim counts towards my over all homeowners insurance. In other words, if I claim more than a few times a years I can get cancelled or have my policy increase in cost. But it's great piece of mind and I have had a few laptops replaced so far.

In my opinion NOT worth it......If your on contract phone gets ruined that's $199+$337/2 years@$11.99+$50deductable If you just start another line its $9.99/no deductable/$216 On the chance you dont ruin it you save $337 (thats not counting selling your broken Iphone4 on ebay for atleast $300) But my favorite part..... no fighting with some phone insurance agent that has about 15 extra "hidden" fees you have too pay just to get a refurb phone.....

Thank you everyone! I am a big Dave Ramsey fan and I knew how he would feel BUT cell phones just make more nervous than say a blu ray player. If it was $6 a month with a $50 deductible then I would say maybe but as it is no way. Good info though.
In fact the only reason I am splurging on this (I have never paid more than $30 for a phone) is that we just refinanced our mortgage to a 20 year (we owed 28 years) and paid off two student loans.