What's new

Battery care

billwill

Reaction score
I travel a lot on short trips in unfamiliar places and use GoogleMaps on my iPhone5 to navigate (Terrific app - much better than my Garmin). However, if I have a long trip it can take a lot of battery power, so I plug it into the cigarette lighter power when I'm in the car. It usually has anywhere from 35 to 70 percent on the battery before I plug it in.

Am I damaging the battery by not letting it get to the 20% range before recharging? Thanks for your help and have a wonderful holiday season.

I have seen it here and there that with new battery technology this does no harm to the battery

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I travel a lot on short trips in unfamiliar places and use GoogleMaps on my iPhone5 to navigate (Terrific app - much better than my Garmin). However, if I have a long trip it can take a lot of battery power, so I plug it into the cigarette lighter power when I'm in the car. It usually has anywhere from 35 to 70 percent on the battery before I plug it in. Am I damaging the battery by not letting it get to the 20% range before recharging? Thanks for your help and have a wonderful holiday season.
It is completely safe to plug in your charger at any time, no matter what the charge level is at the time. Apple does recommend that you do a full cycle charge once a month to calibrate the battery charge percentage meter.

I have heard that charging via a car charger in the cigar lighter charges faster than plugged into an outlet (AC) and that the faster charge is not good for the battery. Any truth to that?