What's new

GPS

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Okay, I know I am probably the only person on earth who does not know how to use the GPS on my phone, however, I have a doctor's appointment coming up in a few days, and I am totally unfamiliar with that area of town. I get lost VERY easily. Please can you tell me how to use the GBS feature that will tell me how to get there as I am driving?

Thanks very much!

Okay, I know I am probably the only person on earth who does not know how to use the GPS on my phone, however, I have a doctor's appointment coming up in a few days, and I am totally unfamiliar with that area of town. I get lost VERY easily. Please can you tell me how to use the GBS feature that will tell me how to get there as I am driving?

Thanks very much!
The easiest way is to simply ask Siri to show you the route from your house to the address of the doctor's office. It will show you the route on a map and give you turn by turn directions.

Will it speak them to me as I drive, scifan57?

Thanks. Fingers crossed I do not get lost!

I had to run a couple of quick errands this evening, and I had the bright idea to check out the GPS. I asked Siri for directions to the bank's address, and it worked great. Pulled up a map and then spoke directions. I was so tickled that I asked for directions home. This time it did not do as well. It had trouble understand the name of my street, so after three try, I spelt the street name for it, and it pulled up a map and started to give me directions. For some reason, though, it kept trying to get me to drive on "Ross Dale," which is actually "Rosedale," but Rosedale is not close to my home and does not intersect the streets around my house. I do not know why it made this error, but if it makes this sort of error on Wednesday, I will be in trouble!

Also, the phone became quite WARM whilst I was using the GPS. This worries me. Do your iphones get very warm whilst using GPS?

I had to run a couple of quick errands this evening, and I had the bright idea to check out the GPS. I asked Siri for directions to the bank's address, and it worked great. Pulled up a map and then spoke directions. I was so tickled that I asked for directions home. This time it did not do as well. It had trouble understand the name of my street, so after three try, I spelt the street name for it, and it pulled up a map and started to give me directions. For some reason, though, it kept trying to get me to drive on "Ross Dale," which is actually "Rosedale," but Rosedale is not close to my home and does not intersect the streets around my house. I do not know why it made this error, but if it makes this sort of error on Wednesday, I will be in trouble!

Also, the phone became quite WARM whilst I was using the GPS. This worries me. Do your iphones get very warm whilst using GPS?

Usually it does, my iPhone 5c does as well if the screen is on all the time. One thing you can do once you've started the GPS is to tap the sleep/wake button to turn off the screen. Then as you follow the route the screen will come on at each turn that you'll need to make. Not only does this help keep the phone from getting hot, it also helps conserve the battery.

Another tip is when you need to get home, just tell Siri "Navigate Home." Though for this to work properly you have to have yourself in your contacts, and have your contact card selected in Settings-General-Siri-My Info:

2a5eda2782270b6a695b888215c8df13.jpg

Then no matter where you are simply saying Navigate Home to Siri will bring up maps with the route to your house. It also works with your work location too.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I cannot wait to try this tomorrow, rasmith! I passed along these very useful tips to a friend who also has an iphone and is not very tech savvy. I am sure she will appreciate it, too. I love learning about what the phone can do! If you think of anything else to teach us, please do!! : )