What's new

GPS App Which one??

So I'm willing to pay for a GPS app but trying to avoid paying for it each month and paying for accessories like, traffic updates, traffic and speed cameras and map updates.
Has anyone used one that they like more than the stand alone GPS models? Can you scroll the map of any of them? Thanks for your help.

I have Tomtom which is the best according to me, and I also have Whereis which is a free app but without bells and whistles.

It's my car, not a headset.

That being said though, the phone won't play sound through it's internal speakers when hooked up to BT.
You must then have a compatibility issue, I use the Tomtom on my phone and my phone does play sound through my car speakers via my bluetooth. Even if it doesn't you can always use the phone speakerphone and it is quite loud when driving.

I've had that problem as well. I finally discovered that if I launch the built-in maps (Google maps?) app first, I then can launch Map Quest or any other GPS based app with no problem; so I wonder if the GPS receiver is not being turned on (when a different GPS is launched first and the screen appears and then disappears)?

Any of the GPS programs good at layers ? I used to use StreetAtlas on PC - had separate drawing layers of markers for customers, sports fields, errands, places-to-see, etc. Really helpful.

Thanks !

You must then have a compatibility issue, I use the Tomtom on my phone and my phone does play sound through my car speakers via my bluetooth. Even if it doesn't you can always use the phone speakerphone and it is quite loud when driving.

I've found the problem. I must have my radio set to BT audio. So in order to get all sound from my phone other than just calls the car needs to be in BT audio mode. But BT audio is really only pandora for me. So if i need nav I'll can't be on stereo, usb, sat, cd. must be listening on BT mode (which again is only pandora radio for me, unless i fill up my phone with music).

Are there any that you can speak your destination? It's so much safer than fiddling with the phone while driving...I have motionx GPSDrive and it does not seem to have this option..Along the same lines, can I ask Siri how to drive somewhere and have it open GPSDrive instead of the internal maps program?

Are there any that you can speak your destination? It's so much safer than fiddling with the phone while driving...I have motionx GPSDrive and it does not seem to have this option..Along the same lines, can I ask Siri how to drive somewhere and have it open GPSDrive instead of the internal maps program?

I've used voice for mapquest and waze. when you bring up the text box just press the microphone.

Siri won't do that.

i know that there is an app on the cydia market. it allows the phone to make tomtom and others the default gps/map program. so maybe if you do that then siri will open up the program you have assigned