What's new

GPS App Which one??

IJoel

Reaction score
So I'm willing to pay for a GPS app but trying to avoid paying for it each month and paying for accessories like, traffic updates, traffic and speed cameras and map updates.
Has anyone used one that they like more than the stand alone GPS models? Can you scroll the map of any of them? Thanks for your help.

TelNav $9.99 for the year, each year.
Excellent for re-routing you for traffic accidents and selecting the best route for current traffic conditions.
They also power the Sprint Navigation, not available on iPhone. I've used it for years and love it.
Also good on recalculating your route if you miss a turn / exit. Don't have to watch it, just listen and drive.

Thanks 700mhz I'm gonna read up on it. any others????

I've been using Skobbler lately as it's free, no harm in trying it!

You can find out more info on it at iPhone free sat nav

another good one is tom tom but obviously pricey.

i use tomtom. works as the best app for me. if i dont need verbal directions rather i need traffic i just use the stock maps app.

I use Motion X GPS Drive It does use data, but I've got unlimited so that's fine. It will let you cache a route up to 2GB however (over WiFi if you want). It's .99c and worth every penny. I also have ForeverMaps on my phone with the states I'm driving in pre-loaded should I run into a no signal area, I can still figure out where I'm at and how to get out. Those are the 2 on my phone. Good luck on you hunt.

Garmin USA for me, voice guided, shows you which lane to be in, traffic updates, a lot of points of interests, in app mp3 access, and I really love the layout. Switched from tomtom and won't go back!

I use MotionX Drive and it's very nice. It's 99 cents for the app and $20/year and it does a great job. I have a Pioneer aftermarket headunit in my car and I can have the app display on the Pioneer headunit. So I wouldn't have to look at the phone while driving but instead look at my pioneer headunit

I'm in the UK, Copilot8 live (UK & NI), app is buy once but extra for traffic.

Skobber s good but no traffic integration make CP8 a winner IMHO.

Navigon work the best for me and it's a + app, which means it also works on the 3G IPad. I used it on both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 a few weeks ago during a road trip to Disney World. Plus the app has built-in google search and works with apps like Around Me. You do have to pay a one time extra fee for traffic if you want it. I have tried just about all of the navigation apps in the app store and Navigon has been the best for me. If you have older hardware such as the iPhone 3G or 3GS, it runs very slow.

First of all, I'm brand new to iPhones. Just switched to the 4S, but have had Android models previously. I downloaded and installed MapQuest 4, but when I try to load the program nothing happens. It when I double click the bottom button it shows that it's running, but nothing comes up on the screen. Suggestions? I'm also new to iOS - I have a MacBook Pro but have not upgraded to OS-X Lion yet.

Thanks.

hmbowers said:
First of all, I'm brand new to iPhones. Just switched to the 4S, but have had Android models previously. I downloaded and installed MapQuest 4, but when I try to load the program nothing happens. It when I double click the bottom button it shows that it's running, but nothing comes up on the screen. Suggestions? I'm also new to iOS - I have a MacBook Pro but have not upgraded to OS-X Lion yet.

Thanks.

I just tried it and it's working on my 4s. Try restarting you phone and if that doesn't work, delete and reinstall the app.

Well after much mental debate about spending more $$$ after buying the phone I decided to jump in the deep end and download Garmin, WOOOOW it's nice. Cost me $37 so it must be on sale as they gave me all the top on for that price as well. It actually does know where not only the mounted speed camera are but even some of the speed traps (not sure how it gets that info) routes me around heavy traffic very short interruption to other media that's going on to give you next direction and immediately goes back to what you were listening to before hand. I love it actually hard earned $$ well spent.

Last edited: