What's new

Good place to sell my iPhone 4?

johnb212

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

First post here at iPhoneforums but I have been reading on here for quite some time now. Thanks to everyone for such a helpful and informative forum.

I am interested in selling my old iPhone 4 as I recently got the upgrade to the new 4S (Love Siri BTW!).

I have looked through a few of the normal "sell your iphone" websites and found some pretty good deals in my opinion. I am not looking to go through CraigsList or eBay as I have had pretty bad experiences with both in the past, so for this sale I would really prefer going through an actual vendor.

The company that I am looking at is the iPhone Antidote ( The iPhone Antidote - Sell Your Used or Broken iPhone 4! ). For my 16GB iPhone for it says they will pay $250 for it and it says they don't need to box/accessories/headphones and other stuff of that nature.

I know there is a lot of issues with websites like this where people send in their iPhone saying its in great condition and the different vendors say "this isn't great condition, its only good condition so we will only pay you $20". But this website has pretty clear cut classifications of either New, Used, Cracked, or Broken (water damage) so I don't think there is much risk of that.

Additionally, this is the highest payout I have been able to find on the web for a used iphone 4 (especially without any accessories, for example gazelle only pays $157). I originally heard about this website through someone I met on the metro, he said that it worked really good, paid out what they said, and were relatively fast (said he got a check about a week after he shipped his iPhone in). But again, it was just a random guy on the metro, so I would like to get some help from the people here.

Everything looks good to me and I think I will give them a go, but really wanted to see what you guys thought as well. I am definitely not opposed to these "types" of websites, as I have used some of them before and been quite happy with the service and convenience provided, so lets try to keep it with company specific stuff.

Thanks!

John

Last edited:
Sorry I didnt mention, its an AT&T iPhone,

Thanks!

the problem is the vendors wont pay much because they turn them around and sell them for about the price you see on eBay which is roughly 300+ so don't expect to get more then about 50% of that at best from a vendor. Some of the vendors then turn them and sell them right on eBay themselves.

honestly eBay is your best bet for the most buck. If you don't want to do it yourself due to bad experiences have a friend sell it for you that uses eBay A lot or check out one of the many eBay stores that will sell it for you and take a small percentage.

i just looked up the prices on ebay and a 32 gig iphone 4 GSM is going anywhere from 350-500.

Last edited:
I agree. The biggest payouts are on eBay. I've had no problems on eBay with scores of purchases/sales myself. If you want best price you need to go there. There is no more vetted and regulated selling place than eBay. I would certainly not trust web site Johnny come latelys on the web.

Good luck though.

Sorry bout that, not really sure why I said it was 32gb, its a 16gb though. I've had an issue on eBay with my last iPhone that I sold a while back. It was an iPhone 3gs and it was signed and shipped to a confirmed address but the customer claimed he got an empty box and filed a "item not as described" claim which is the kind you can't really fight. I was out the money. Tried for the life of me to climb up the paypal and ebay ladders to complain, for 3 months. No luck at all. And overall just would rather avoid meeting people in person.

I haven't been able to find much as for reviews for this website, but I did find this thread at macrumors where a couple people had successful orders with them. Another Cash for iPhone website legitimacy question - MacRumors Forums

I must sold my ip4 on Gumtree and had no issues at all. I posted the add on a Friday night and by 9.30 Saturday morning it was gone for the price I had advertised it for. FYI......I got $500 for it. So honestly, $250 is a lot less than what you could get for it.
I don't want to tell you that you houldn't use a vendor, rather that it doesn't always have to be a bad experience using one of the other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How come this site does not have a for sale section?

but the customer claimed he got an empty box and filed a "item not as described" claim which is the kind you can't really fight.

Wow! What a scumbag!!! You know that was some crook who got away with his little scheme.

Wow! What a scumbag!!! You know that was some crook who got away with his little scheme.
but those kinds of "gone wrong" transactions on eBay are so very very rare. I've done over 40 transactions on eBay in the last 3 to 5 years. And they've all gone completely perfect. I've met some great people. The kind of transaction he experienced is sad, and I'm sure it happens to a few. But very very very few. He should give it a try again. There is simply nowhere to get a better price on a used iPhone than on eBay. Easy $400-$500 for an iPhone 4 32GB. 2.5 times what most of us paid for it.

but those kinds of "gone wrong" transactions on eBay are so very very rare. I've done over 40 transactions on eBay in the last 3 to 5 years. And they've all gone completely perfect. I've met some great people. The kind of transaction he experienced is sad, and I'm sure it happens to a few. But very very very few. He should give it a try again. There is simply nowhere to get a better price on a used iPhone than on eBay. Easy $400-$500 for an iPhone 4 32GB. 2.5 times what most of us paid for it.

I agree, I know the transactions are rare, but the iPhone is a high fraud item as well. I still use ebay once in a while, but mostly just for buying things (I have found out that eBay protects buyers quite well).

I am not sure about an easy $400 to $500 however, and I only have a 16gb. After the different fees (final value, listing, paypal, and shipping) that is probably around $40 additional that id need to pay.

Also, most of the listing I see are going for around $300 for and iPhone 16gb in great condition, and mine is definitely not in "great" condition. And most of these include accessories (which I would rather not give up).

So for me the difference is something like $260 if I am lucky (with a slim chance of a fraudulent transaction) or $250 and have it just be done with.

That was my reasoning at least. I went ahead and sent it and it should be delivered by monday. Ill come back and leave a review of the iphone antidote once everything (hopefully) goes well.

Thanks again for all your help!

I agree, I know the transactions are rare, but the iPhone is a high fraud item as well. I still use ebay once in a while, but mostly just for buying things (I have found out that eBay protects buyers quite well).

I am not sure about an easy $400 to $500 however, and I only have a 16gb. After the different fees (final value, listing, paypal, and shipping) that is probably around $40 additional that id need to pay.

Also, most of the listing I see are going for around $300 for and iPhone 16gb in great condition, and mine is definitely not in "great" condition. And most of these include accessories (which I would rather not give up).

So for me the difference is something like $260 if I am lucky (with a slim chance of a fraudulent transaction) or $250 and have it just be done with.

That was my reasoning at least. I went ahead and sent it and it should be delivered by monday. Ill come back and leave a review of the iphone antidote once everything (hopefully) goes well.

Thanks again for all your help!
Ah yes! You've been talking about 16MB.. They are closer to 300-350 on eBay and you're right there are the fees. Not $40.. More like $26 or so. But your point is still taken. I was referring to 32gb unit.

Good luck with your transaction!

I would recommend Craigslist personally because you get cash in hand same day as deal not have to wait for a transfer or check. Also tell the buyer they must meet you your carriers store its safe and verifies both parties are protected don't hand over phone until you have money in hand and if buyer tries something you are in a public place