What's new

Giving iphone to relative with apps

jstvj

Reaction score
Hello
Have just preordered my iPhone 5 and want to give my iPhone 4 to my wife and her 3GS to her Father.

I want each of us to have our own separate accounts but want each phone to keep the apps already purchased from iTunes.

Can anyone explain in simple terms how this is done because I found it very confusing when trying to separate my iPhone 4 purchases from my old 3GS. On fact I gave up and put both on my Ox account but now I get my wife's updates as well ?

To keep it as simple as possible... create different users on your Mac... create different iTunes Acct./Apple ID's for each user & iPhone... and name your iPhones differently in iTunes. This will keep all purchases and syncs completely seperate from each other.

Thomasjtsi said:
To keep it as simple as possible... create different users on your Mac... create different iTunes Acct./Apple ID's for each user & iPhone... and name your iPhones differently in iTunes. This will keep all purchases and syncs completely seperate from each other.

Thank you very much

With the separate accounts they will not be able to use the apps you already have on the iPhone. They will have to get their own on their account.

You can authorize up to 5 or 6 (can't remember which) Apple ID's to share purchases with.

All purchases or just some? Now u guys have me wondering...

So if I understand it correctly. If I want to share apps I must use the same PC account but a different Apple ID. What about contacts, photos etc that I want to take off the old phone, ie not share ?

jstvj said:
So if I understand it correctly. If I want to share apps I must use the same PC account but a different Apple ID. What about contacts, photos etc that I want to take off the old phone, ie not share ?

I don't think you understand it correctly. To share apps you have to use the same apple ID. Pc account does not matter. However you will end up sharing a lot more.

zphone said:
I don't think you understand it correctly. To share apps you have to use the same apple ID. Pc account does not matter. However you will end up sharing a lot more.

OK, now I don't understand, thank you. Surely though, when syncing one phone you can opt not to sync (share) certain things like contacts, photos, music, certain apps etc. All you need to do is un-tick the sync button on the chosen items ?

jstvj said:
OK, now I don't understand, thank you. Surely though, when syncing one phone you can opt not to sync (share) certain things like contacts, photos, music, certain apps etc. All you need to do is un-tick the sync button on the chosen items ?

Absolutely. Me and my wife share an apple account for apps but we each have different play lists, contacts and email addresses. However with apple iCloud this becomes more difficult. And you do have to trust the person you are sharing the account with as they could have access to all your phone info.

Sign out your accounts on each other phone and create a new apple id, this way they can download or purchase new app that will be registered on their own apple id, however they won't be able to update the apps that are purchased on the precious owner accounts.