What's new

Ghost calls

tree14

Reaction score
My friend has an older IPhone that is stalking here. I saw this last night and could not believe it. Her phone was ringing but her screen showed her home screen only. I looked at her call history and nothing! They are an elderly couple and these calls wake them. She cannot block a call that is not showing up. She went to her Verizon carrier and they said they could not help. When she suggested police, Verizon told her it was a waste of her time.

One caveat , she has her landline forwarded to her mobile phone.

Please advise..

Ok, most strange!! Don't really have much idea, but we might be able to pin things down a bit...

Are they receiving any calls normally?
Do these 'ghost' calls come at any particular time of day, you mention that they wake them up?
Have you tried calling their landline to see what happens to that call when it forwards?

OK, done a bit more digging and found the following on another site:

Proximity Sensor
The iPhone has a proximity sensor that automatically deactivates the iPhone's screen during calls in order to conserve the battery. Occasionally, this sensor may cause the iPhone to ring but not display anything on the screen. This typically occurs when a finger or something else is placed over the proximity sensor, which is located directly above the touch screen area of the iPhone. If this is causing your constant ringing problem, you can resolve the issue by making sure that nothing is touching the sensor when you answer phone calls.

Accessibility Bug
An iPhone that constantly rings but has a blank screen may be caused by an accessibility bug. This problem commonly occurs with iPhone 3G and 3GS phones that run iOS 4.0 or lower, but may also occur with the first generation iPhone. The bug occurs when the Zoom accessibility option is turned on. If you suspect that this is the cause of your constant ringing problem, you can disable Zoom by tapping "Settings," then "General," then "Accessibility," and then the "Off" button next to "Zoom." Alternatively, you may find that upgrading your iPhone to a newer version of the iPhone firmware fixes the problem.

Temporary Issue
The iPhone may lock up due to having too many open applications or an unstable application that is currently running. When the iPhone is locked up, you may find that phone rings yet you are unable to answer it because the screen is blank. In this case, the problem can typically be fixed by restarting the iPhone. You can perform a regular reset by holding down the "Sleep/Wake," button until "Slide to power off" appears, then use the slider to turn the phone off; if necessary, you can perform a hard reset where power is temporarily cut by holding down the "Sleep/Wake," and "Home," buttons until the slider appears, and then use it to turn the iPhone off. To turn the phone back on, hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple appears. The phone will restart.

Defective iPhone
If the proximity sensor and accessibility settings are not to blame and restarting does not help to resolve the display problem, the iPhone may be defective. It is possible that either the LCD connector for the iPhone is disconnected or the LCD screen itself is bad, which may cause the iPhone to ring with no display. This may occur after the iPhone has been dropped or may even be caused by a manufacturer's error. You can get your iPhone repaired or replaced by contacting Apple or taking the iPhone to an Apple Store Genius Bar.

My friend has an older IPhone that is stalking here. I saw this last night and could not believe it. Her phone was ringing but her screen showed her home screen only. I looked at her call history and nothing! They are an elderly couple and these calls wake them. She cannot block a call that is not showing up. She went to her Verizon carrier and they said they could not help. When she suggested police, Verizon told her it was a waste of her time.

One caveat , she has her landline forwarded to her mobile phone.

Please advise..
Update it is a IPhone 10! She called me today and she received 37 calls yesterday

Yes they do get regular calls. Yesterday they got 37 " ghost" calls. The nearest Apple store is 100 + miles away

OK, are the calls being registered in the recent call log? There was a bug reported back not long after the iPhone X was released that sounds like it was similar to what your friend is experiencing. However, this was an iOS 11 issue and was fixed as far as I am aware. 37 'ghost' calls is a lot to cope with and must be frustrating and more than a little alarming for them. First thing I would do is make sure that the phone is running the latest version of iOS, and take it from there.

No ghost calls show in history ..its so frustrating

As I said above, could you confirm that your friends phone is running the latest version of iOS.