What's new

Not able to text non-iPhone phones with iPhone 4S

FG0001

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum as I just got my iPhone yesterday. Everything worked fine until late evening when I started having problems texting a friend who has a Blackberry but she said she was having issues with her phone. This morning I saw a text from a friend (non-iPhone) and when I tried to reply the message failed. I tried to send it a few more times and gave up and ended up calling her instead. I texted hubby (also has iPhone) and the text went through. Texted bff (iPhone) and text went through. When I tried to text non-iPhones, the text did not go through. I am very frustrated right now as I had not changed any settings on the phone and cannot seem to find a fix for this issue. It is not a carrier problem either as my husband is not having issues with his.

If somebody could please help me, I would really appreciate it! I don't have time to be dealing with this today!!

Thank you so much!!!!!

Go to Settings ➡ Messages . There , look if "Send as SMS"( It will send as SMS if iMessage is not available ) is closed , if so , open it and that should fix your issue.

By the time I got to the store, the problem had fixed itself. What seems to have happened is that when the phone was trying to activate iMessage, it wouldn't allow any texting other than to iPhones. Now my iMessage says "Activation unsuccessful" so I can't use it which isn't a big issue although everything should work without glitches, in my opinion. Nevertheless, that seems to have been the issue which seems to be a Sprint issue and not a phone issue. Other friends with Sprint have been experiencing issues. I still can't text one friend who is also on Sprint and her text keeps repeating itself. I'm hopeful that Sprint will fix their issues quickly =)

Thank you to those who responded and tried to help. I did follow those steps numerous times but it didn't work.