What's new

Getting tape adhesive off back

lenjack

Reaction score
Previously, I have used double sided Scotch tape on the metal back of my iPhone 6 to help adhere to a case that kept coming loose. I successfully removed the tape, but there are small remnants of adhesive remaining. What best to use, without damaging, or blemishing the back, to remove this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

A little isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) shouldn't hurt the metal back (it's not coated, the color is in the metal), but keep it off of the glass front because it can damage the coating on the glass. Don't use a paper towel...use a cotton washcloth or piece of an old cotton t-shirt. Apply a little of the alcohol to the cloth, not directly to the phone, and then rub gently until the goo is gone. If necessary, find a fresh spot on the cloth and apply a little more fresh alcohol. Repeat as necessary. Gentle and slow wins the race.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, but isopropyl is rubbing alcohol. The drinking stuff is ethanol, or ethyl alcohol. Then there is methanol, or methyl alcohol, sometimes called wood alcohol. I'm pretty sure you're referring to isopropyl. Could you clarify?

I was always told that rubbing alcohol contains an oil or lubricant of some kind because it was once used for rubbing on human skin for certain medical reasons like reducing fevers. You want isopropyl without any additives is what I'm saying.

I was always told that rubbing alcohol contains an oil or lubricant of some kind because it was once used for rubbing on human skin for certain medical reasons like reducing fevers. You want isopropyl without any additives is what I'm saying.
That sounds like mineral oil

WD40 will do that job for you. Don't know what part of the world you are but in the UK WD40 id good for all sorts of things especialy detting sticky labels off
Good luck David.

Try a little cooking oil.
Works on some surfaces.

WD40 will do that job for you. Don't know what part of the world you are but in the UK WD40 id good for all sorts of things especialy detting sticky labels off
Good luck David.
It can also destroy any plastic parts in your device if any of it gets inside.

I'm not looking to turn this into a heated discussion, but my personal opinion is that WD40 or anything with oil could, at the very least, leave behind stains or blemishes on the metal that could be difficult to remove. Isopropyl won't remove all kinds of sticky adhesives, but it will remove many, and it won't have undesirable side effects. I think it's worth a first-try. For whatever you think it's worth.

You can try two other things:

1) use a hair dryer to heat up the goo and use your finger or soft item like a silicon spatula to take it off. If you use this method turn off your phone first to minimize heat into the components.

2) a product called goo gone. This is what I would use, and have. I've never had a stain or etching when using it but, as always, ymmv.