What's new

Was Verizon Fair?

Did Verizon Treat Me Fairly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seriously... wasn't a SIM tool in my box. Wasn't in my iP4 box either back in 2010. :-( I do, however, recall it being there when I bought the 3GS.
thats odd isn't it,wonder why some get one and some don't,did you use a paper clip,that seems to be the favourite alternative.

Yep... used a little paper clip. I have one set aside just for that... LOL!!
i know for a fact that my son will lose the little tool,i should buy him a box of paper clips too lol.

ariana said:
I find it funny that he says trying to get the SIM CARD out, 'made him break the phone'.

Why is that funny? The guy has never had an iPhone before, and he has some tech on the phone supposedly guiding him through the process. If the tech didn't know, he should have had the decency to say so. Instead, he and his company simply walk away from the consequences of their actions. It might have been OPs hands that did the damage, but he was effectively in the same position as a kid on their first driving lesson; legally in charge but dependent on instructions. Those instructions should have been complete.

These kind of things are only funny when they happen to someone else.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Well, when I read the instruction book which I understand has only been out for a couple of days it said some may get the sim removal clip, some may not. I thought that was odd too.

I just double checked my box, there was no envelope in there with the sim removal tool.

Just want to let you guys know this is not the end of the world. I tried to set up the claim in the internet today and file it around 4:30 but before I knew it I had a claim number. I stopped, wrote the number down and contacted Verizon. Went through the whole story again and they tried to push the insurance through to Asurion. But because I got on the internet Ausrion is holding things up.

I may get a notification that they need more forms filled out, or I may get a rejection. Verizon says don't worry about that if that happens when we call let us know and we will run with it from there. They also questioned me further. Do I remember the name of the tech? (no) What time did I call? Well, I used Google Voice so I have the time of the call and the length of the call. 1 hour and 50 minutes. To change a sim card? True I didn't know anything but surely the tech should have told me I need to push the button to pop the sim out not pull on it.

And I have one other thing that I haven't told them. That call was from the tech. I forgot that it was a call back so I have a number in Huntsville AL to give to them. Maybe they can track the guy down that way, but if insurance gets rejected I'll guarantee you Verizon will work with Asurion to convince them to do the right thing. If not I expect Verizon to do the right thing and give me a new phone. Even if I have to wait a couple of weeks it's not a big deal. The tape holding that sim card slot is secure!

This is probably not going to be an overnight thing but hey, my phone is working fine, I'm not losing any use of the phone. True I'll have to rearrange things again and such but no big deal. And when the new one does arrive, with or without a sim tool I have some real small star wrenches that will be ideal for just pushing to open up the sim card holder, now that I know it works that way.

And if I have the least bit of a problem, I take it to Verizon store and say "here, you do it."

Last edited:
Hook I think that Verizon should have picked up the bill. If the rep told you it was ok to use a letter opener and that's what you used, it's on them if you were following instructions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When I got my iPhone 4 and 4S neither had the sim removal tool. After six months of owning the iPhone 4 I had to send it to Apple for repair because the battery wouldn't charge. The instructions said to remove the sim before sending in the phone. So I had to go to an AT&T store and have them remove the sim. When my phone was replaced the new phone included the sim tool. I have put it in a safe place for future use.

I am curious as to why the OP did not go to the local Verizon store in the first place? Whatever the case I agree with most, Verizon should have expidited the new phone with a prepped box w/shipping label for the old phone to be sent back.

Whats weird is how come some phones like 4s came with the sim tool and others didnt? Was it because certain providers did and not?
I have the 4s with verizon and I never got one.

I am curious as to why the OP did not go to the local Verizon store in the first place? Whatever the case I agree with most, Verizon should have expidited the new phone with a prepped box w/shipping label for the old phone to be sent back.

Actually, I did! I went there because my contacts failed to copy over. While I was there I told them it wasn't connecting to the network. I mean I could get emails, that type of stuff but no phone. They said let me see, couldn't get it going and just shrugged there shoulders. I was told originally that it would take 24 hours, but I found out that only applied to people who were using someone else's upgrade.

He had to do something on his side and in order for him to do that I had to take the Sim card. Remember, I was on the phone for an hour and fifty minutes. Knowing what I know as soon as I said letter opener he should have said no, have a Verizon store take it out and give us a call back.

Whats weird is how come some phones like 4s came with the sim tool and others didnt? Was it because certain providers did and not?
I have the 4s with verizon and I never got one.

Mine is Verizon and that very well may be! Interesting.

I have filled out the claim affidavit. Now I'll have to wait 24 hours for an answer from them.

I originally thought Verizon had done right by me but now it's sort of turned into a hassle. One way or another though I will get a replacement. Verizon says if they reject it to let them know, now I don't know if that means they will ship me out another phone or if they are going to b slap Asurion. The reps I spoke with all agree that I was given bad information.

Hook I think that Verizon should have picked up the bill. If the rep told you it was ok to use a letter opener and that's what you used, it's on them if you were following instructions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The thing about that is if I knew that was like a "push to eject" thing the letter opener may have worked. But I won't be using that next time, for sure. I'll give it one attempt with the star tool I have and if that fails, off to Verizon I go.

Insurance got turned down. See what happens when you are honest?

I have to wait now for the original person who talked to me to call me on Saturday. I spoke to a couple of reps, and a tech. They find my story a little hard to understand but they all agree that if what I say is true then Verizon should be responsible. But Verizon isn't willing to part with one of there own, or so it seems now.

Eh....If I don't get a replacement I'm still good so long as the card stays in place. Damage is real hard to see. But if the card does shake loose again and the answer for replacement is no, then I'll take a swim. Or the phone will. Don't like having to do that but I will if necessary.