What's new

Foxconn Said to be Working on Wireless Charging Modules for iPhone 8

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Foxconn working on iPhone 8 wireless charging module.JPG

Wireless charging could be coming to the iPhone next year according to a new report from Nikkei via 9to5 Mac, as Foxconn is said to be currently testing wireless charging modules for the 2017 iPhone.

Nikkei says that the module that Foxconn is testing is actually integrated into the iPhone. It’s not known if the module will be for all iPhone models, or just for the top-of-the range models.

Whether or not the module makes it to the final version of next year’s iPhone apparently depends on what sort of yield rate Foxconn is able to get for the product. This means that there must be enough satisfactory units in a production batch to enable large-scale production of the module. Or, in the words of the anonymous source, “whether the feature can eventually make it into Apple’s updated devices will depend on whether Foxconn can boost the yield rate to a satisfactory level later on.”

Source: Report: Foxconn currently producing & testing wireless charging modules for iPhone 8

Agreed.. I was really hoping to see this feature in the iPhone 7. It's going to be super handy!

Apple already has the experience gained from the wireless charging system on the Apple Watch to build on. I just hope they don't do away with the charging socket at the same time.

Apple already has the experience gained from the wireless charging system on the Apple Watch to build on. I just hope they don't do away with the charging socket at the same time.

I suspect we are going to see universal adoption of USB-C by smartphone manufacturers over the next 2 years.

I suspect we are going to see universal adoption of USB-C by smartphone manufacturers over the next 2 years.
Do you think Apple will ditch the Lightning Connector or just make it USB C compatible as on the large size iPad Pro?

They'll probably try to maintain compatibility with Lightning docks etc if that's possible. There was enough of a kick up when they dumped the 30 pin. Making yet another load of peripherals obsolete could be a bad idea.

Do you think Apple will ditch the Lightning Connector or just make it USB C compatible as on the large size iPad Pro?
I've not seen a USB-C slot in real life. How does it compare in size to the Lightning connector? I don't suspect Apple will be in too much of a hurry to make the iPhone thicker in order to accommodate the USB-C slot.

I was looking at some Windows laptops with USB-C. As far as I could tell it's identical in size to Lightning. Appearance can be deceiving though and I don't know whether the two are pin compatible.

I was looking at some Windows laptops with USB-C. As far as I could tell it's identical in size to Lightning. Appearance can be deceiving though and I don't know whether the two are pin compatible.
The standard Lightning connector isn't pin compatible as it only has 8 contacts. The Lightning connector on the 12.7" iPad Pro is pin compatible as it has 16 contacts. Apple makes a Lightning to USB C cable that can be used on the 12.7" iPad Pro to connect to the USB C connector on a computer for faster data transfer.

Nah, they will release iPhone 7S PLUS as usually. iPhone 8 will release in 2018, I believe. I could be wrong but you know they usually released "s" version after that as always.

Nah, they will release iPhone 7S PLUS as usually. iPhone 8 will release in 2018, I believe. I could be wrong but you know they usually released "s" version after that as always.

You may be right, but industry watchers seem unanimous in their agreement that the next iPhone will be numbered "8".

This indicates far more than might be apparent, since it points to a more radical hardware change than would be the case in an "s" variant.

The rumours of all-glass design, OLED screens and wireless charging would bear this out.

That's quite possible but Apple have done the unexpected before. We won't know for sure until next September.

Next year is the tenth anniversary of iPhone, Its my opinion they won't just trot out an s version for that.
I think next year will be iPhone 8 with all the bells and whistles of a new version.

I don't think Apple will be satisfied with a speed bump in the 10th anniversary year. They will want something that people will notice.

The editorials in certain rags have probably already been written explaining how the failures of the new phone will bring the company crashing down in flames. We are well used to the doom and gloom merchants.