What's new

First experience with iPhone, I need help

I don't like the idea of being limited to certain iOS/BB of the non-upgradable Gevey Sim Ultra although I've already ordered it and it will arrive in 3-4 weeks

Stick with the Gevey Ultra. So far Gevey works with every firmware up to iOS5 beta 2 regardless of baseband. Plus it's much less expensive, PLUS I have heard of people who pay to get their iPhones whitelisted on the unlock list having Apple take them off the whitelist and then they lose their money.

Gevey Ultra is the only way to go for unlocking.

I don't like the idea of being limited to certain iOS/BB of the non-upgradable Gevey Sim Ultra although I've already ordered it and it will arrive in 3-4 weeks

Stick with the Gevey Ultra. So far Gevey works with every firmware up to iOS5 beta 2 regardless of baseband. Plus it's much less expensive, PLUS I have heard of people who pay to get their iPhones whitelisted on the unlock list having Apple take them off the whitelist and then they lose their money.

Gevey Ultra is the only way to go for unlocking.

I've read that it doesn't work with iOS 5.0 Beta 2 :

iOS 5 Beta 2 Renders GEVEY SIM Ultra Useless

That's because of the baseband update though

Do you have a link for these reports about people being taken off the whitelist ?

I am going to talk to the guy today and see what kind of guarantee he would give or else I would stick to Gevey sim

That's why I said up to beta 2. And I guarantee that once iOS5 is released publicly, Gevey will update their software to allow the unlock to work again. They don't want to do it now while it's still in beta because then Apple could patch it.

That's why I said up to beta 2. And I guarantee that once iOS5 is released publicly, Gevey will update their software to allow the unlock to work again. They don't want to do it now while it's still in beta because then Apple could patch it.

Does Gevey have a software solution with the chip they sell ?

Do you mean the one gets installed from furious mod url ?

Sorry but I have zero experience with these things aside from what I read

On the other hand, I went to the guy today and he refused to unlock the phone just because I asked him why would he want the iPhone if the unlock was official ?! (IMEI unlocking does not need the handset itself !)

Yes, you need the Furious Mod Cydia package in order for the Gevey SIM to work. All they need to do to get it working on iOS5 is to update the package, but they won't even consider doing that until iOS5 is out and jailbroken.

And yes you're right. In order to have your phone added to the whitelist for unlock all they would need is your IMEI, there's absolutely no reason they would need the actual hardware in order to provide you with an unlock. Definitely stay away from that guy, sounds like a scam.

I don't think it was a scam, just not straightforward, and I don't like dealing with this kind of people

Anyway I have another iPhone that the same guy unlocked for a friend of mine and I was restoring and updating it and when it restarted it gave me the emergency call screen for few seconds then logged in normally and "searching" appeared for few seconds and it connected to the network, is this normal ? does this indicate anything about his method of unlocking ?

I don't think it was a scam, just not straightforward, and I don't like dealing with this kind of people

Anyway I have another iPhone that the same guy unlocked for a friend of mine and I was restoring and updating it and when it restarted it gave me the emergency call screen for few seconds then logged in normally and "searching" appeared for few seconds and it connected to the network, is this normal ? does this indicate anything about his method of unlocking ?

I couldn't tell you since I've never actually seen a factory unlocked phone but it sounds pretty normal. The emergency call screen would be where you would have to activate but since it's unlocked it skipped the screen and went to the dashboard and the phones always search for at least a second or two after activating before actually syncing up with the network. As long as everything worked after that I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Thank you for the reply

There are 2 things that worry me about Gevey Sim Ultra :

1-Does it need an active sim ? (original carrier's sim) I don't have it

2-I've read that it requires original firmware and it will NOT work with custom firmware which I think is what I have when I used sn0wbreeze to hactivate my iPhone but it requires the phone to be jailbroken

What should I do ?

You need a carrier SIM no matter what method of unlock you use... If you are not using a carrier SIM right now then that is your issue. You can't use just the Gevey SIM.

I meant the "original carrier's sim that the iPhone is locked to" . I have "my own" carrier's sim

Last edited:
I found a Gevey Sim with somebody I know and borrowed it to try

IT WORKED !

The bad things about it though are :

1-It is fake

2-It is very expensive (compared to online prices for fakes) at 26$

3-It needs going through the whole procedure every time the phone is restarted

I am happy now because I ordered the original Gevey Ultra and it is guaranteed to work

Here are some pics of the Gevey Sim and it looks very fake to me :

gev1.jpg

gev2.jpg

gev3.jpg