What's new

First experience with iPhone, I need help

Yes it is jailbroken now. Sn0wbreeze creates a pre-jailbroken firmware with Cydia pre-installed so that as soon as you restore the firmware you are jailbroken.

If your phone had ever been jailbroken before it is quite possible that Cydia automatically saved your SHSH for you.

If the phone was lost or stolen and the original owner reported it, then your phone is on the blacklist and it will not work with any cellular provider. Not even if you use the Gevey SIM. There is no way to remove it from the blacklist either if that is the case.

Yes it is jailbroken now. Sn0wbreeze creates a pre-jailbroken firmware with Cydia pre-installed so that as soon as you restore the firmware you are jailbroken.

If your phone had ever been jailbroken before it is quite possible that Cydia automatically saved your SHSH for you.

If the phone was lost or stolen and the original owner reported it, then your phone is on the blacklist and it will not work with any cellular provider. Not even if you use the Gevey SIM. There is no way to remove it from the blacklist either if that is the case.

How to make sure before getting the Gevey Sim ?

Shouldn't iTune block it ?

I checked the IMEI number and it is not blocked but I don't know why it says No Service instead of Sim Not Supported or something similar

There really isn't a way to check because each provider adds IMEIs to the blacklist in different ways. "No Service" is just the default display for a phone without service, it doesnt mean that it's blacklisted or not. You will just have to try when you get the phone and hope its not blacklisted.

If it is blacklisted, will it be blocked by networks and carriers worldwide or just the phone's country of origin/carrier ?

iPhones seems like a pain in the "hand" to unlock lol

I have BB Storm that only required a simple unlock code that I got for free

I've checked service/warranty status for the serial number and it says it is under warranty till 02 May 2012, does this mean I can repair it under warranty if it malfunction some day ?!!

Yes, if its under warranty you can get it repaired but usually they just give you a brand new phone instead of repairing though unless its something simple. Keep in mind that if you do get a new phone it will probably come with the newest firmware installed though.

If any carrier blacklists the IMEI # it will be blacklisted by 95% of the other carriers worldwide as well. Almost all carriers share the same blacklist with the exception of maybe a few small carriers.

I've checked service/warranty status for the serial number and it says it is under warranty till 02 May 2012, does this mean I can repair it under warranty if it malfunction some day ?!!

Yes, it means you can take it to apple and they will repair it for you, just make sure that it isn't a water damage.

Thanks guys although replacing the phone seems rather odd because I don't even have the box or accessories and it was used

One last thing : is Gevey Sim Ultra better or Rebel Xpress ?

Thanks guys although replacing the phone seems rather odd because I don't even have the box or accessories and it was used

One last thing : is Gevey Sim Ultra better or Rebel Xpress ?

I know much about Gevey than about Rebel, and Gevey seams to be doing the job pretty well. As for the replacement, you do not need to have the box and so on, just take your phone in, and if it worth a replacement, then they will replace it for you.

In Egypt, service for iPhones is only provided by the 3 network carriers. Does this mean that although I didn't buy from them I can get them to replace or repair it ?!

In Egypt, service for iPhones is only provided by the 3 network carriers. Does this mean that although I didn't buy from them I can get them to replace or repair it ?!

You can always try to contact them and ask to know how they can unlock your phone for you. There have to be some conditions I think. But the Gevey can easily pass that limitation in case the carrier can't do anything soon to unlock your phone.

Thank you very much for the great help

Excellent advice to new user thank you

I would like to second that

When I first searched the iPhone problems I had I felt very sad and confused but with the awesome help I found here, I felt like an expert in just 2 days !

Awesome job guys, thank you all again

Last edited:
I am really tempted to pay the 125$ and get an official unlock. I live in a small city where people know each other and I can get my money back if something bad happens down the road

I don't like the idea of being limited to certain iOS/BB of the non-upgradable Gevey Sim Ultra although I've already ordered it and it will arrive in 3-4 weeks

Last edited:
I am really tempted to pay the 125$ and get an official unlock. I live in a small city where people know eatch other and I can get my money back if something bad happens down the road

I don't like the idea of being limited to certain iOS/BB of the non-upgradable Gevey Sim Ultra although I've already ordered it and it will arrive in 3-4 weeks

I would pay that $125 to get my iPhone fully factory unlocked.