What's new

"Find My iPhone" ---- How to set up?

EWyatt

Reaction score
My iPhone 4 is iOS version 4.1.
I downloaded the "Find My iPhone" app and tried to run it. After inputting my Apple ID and Password it basically referred me to open a MobileMe account. I tried to add a MobileMe account, inputted my Apple ID and password and it didn't allow access. After reading a few lines into that setup page, it said something like MobileMe is not allowing new users. And.......... I don't think I can use iCloud for the Find My iPhone app.

So........... what am I missing? Is this app simply not usuable on my system any more?

(Note: I looked for help on Google and in this forum on the app setup, but MobileMe just doesn't allow access per instructions!)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you will need to update to 5.0 and use iCloud. Mobile Me is not accepting new accounts and will totally dissolve next June.

Is there a reason you are reluctant to update to iOS5?

Thanks for the reply, xray.... I understand what you wrote; however, going to the Apple Store and getting the Find My iPhone app, plus reading all the Apple articles about the app, leads one to believe that this app could go on practically ANY i-device! My kids have Find My iPhone on their older iPods and 3G phones, but theirs were installed many months ago. Perhaps the situation has changed recently.
And that is the nature of my question -- is it really true that a non-iOS 5 phone cannot run the app? Apparently the answer is no, but I'd like to confirm that here.

Last edited:
I ran it on 4.3.3 and 4.3.5, so no, it can run

I was running Find My iPhone previously with v4.6, but I got in on the free Mobile Me deal before they shut off memberships. Now that I've upgraded to 5.0, I have it enabled under iCloud. It's the only thing I use iCloud for though. I only have Windows XP on my home computers, so I had to install a modified version of iCloud since it is not supported under XP.

The App can go on any iDevice! But, that won't do you any good tracking it, because your device will be missing! The problem is that you need a program for your home computer to track it.... and you would have to use iCloud for that.

Thanks again, xray.... I'm getting the picture now, and apparently my stumbling block is getting a new MobileMe account with which to use the app, and which is not allowed any more. No problem. And I appreciate your comments. As you intimated above, if I were to "Man Up" and get iOS 5, I'd be set to go. Perhaps soon, after this battery issue settles down.....

Come on ewyatt update to iOS 5. It's about time you updated that phone of yours! Lol.

I haven't encountered any battery issues with my iphone 4, 3gs or iPod touch. The battery issues were mostly for the new 4S but have since been fixed with the 5.0.1 update.

The reason you can't get find my iphone to work is because you need a mobile me account on iOS 4. Even if you could it wouldn't be free because you need to be on 4.2.1 or above on an iphone 4 to qualify for a free account...

Thanks again, xray.... I'm getting the picture now, and apparently my stumbling block is getting a new MobileMe account with which to use the app, and which is not allowed any more. No problem. And I appreciate your comments. As you intimated above, if I were to "Man Up" and get iOS 5, I'd be set to go. Perhaps soon, after this battery issue settles down.....

Was I that obvious? LOL! :) And I agree about not updating right now. I'm fine with 5.0 and will wait for the next one to come along. 5.0.1 seems to have a few issues to work out.

Come on ewyatt update to iOS 5. It's about time you updated that phone of yours! Lol.

I hear you, gaz.....!! Believe it or not, I was going to update to version 5 a few days ago on my son's very high speed Internet, but his connectivity went down! Now that I have to leave his place to drive back home, I won't be able to do that here, and my connection at home is pretty lame. Such a tough life!!

And thanks for the confirmation about MobileMe -- which was the real reason I posted this thread here instead of in the Apps area. Thanks to you again, Xray.......

And like I said before, I am not totally comfortable with iCloud right now. Not only do my computers not fully support it, but I still think it has bugs to work out and also has something to do with the battery issue. I have no proof of that, it's just my "feeling". So, I have everything turned off for iCloud except for Find My Phone!

I hear you, gaz.....!! Believe it or not, I was going to update to version 5 a few days ago on my son's very high speed Internet, but his connectivity went down! Now that I have to leave his place to drive back home, I won't be able to do that here, and my connection at home is pretty lame. Such a tough life!!

And thanks for the confirmation about MobileMe -- which was the real reason I posted this thread here instead of in the Apps area. Thanks to you again, Xray.......

You can download iOS 5 directly to your computer from our http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-22984/ page. Much more stable that way than via iTunes on slower connections. If you need a hand choosing the correct one and what to do with it just ask.

Once you've updated to iOS 5 all future updates are much much smaller and can be downloaded on your phone. You can also back up and sync automatically. So no more need for iTunes. Which I'm sure will be a massive plus for you...! ;)

You can download iOS 5 directly to your computer from our http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-22984/ page. Much more stable that way than via iTunes on slower connections. If you need a hand choosing the correct one and what to do with it just ask.

Once you've updated to iOS 5 all future updates are much much smaller and can be downloaded on your phone. You can also back up and sync automatically. So no more need for iTunes. Which I'm sure will be a massive plus for you...! ;)

Hey again, gaz.....

A question regarding the download of iOS 5. Is the download from the site above for my my particular iPhone version the same as I would get if I opened iTunes and let it "download only" my current recommended update? Do you know what I mean?

Eventually, when I muster up the courage to upgrade in whatever form (direct download or thru iTunes) I'll have to PM you for step-by-step instructions! This is coming form someone who has worked with computers for the past 23 years and knows electronics well. I just don't do Apple and would hate to mess up my perfectly working iOS 4.1!!!!!

Hey again, gaz.....

A question regarding the download of iOS 5. Is the download from the site above for my my particular iPhone version the same as I would get if I opened iTunes and let it "download only" my current recommended update? Do you know what I mean?

Eventually, when I muster up the courage to upgrade in whatever form (direct download or thru iTunes) I'll have to PM you for step-by-step instructions! This is coming form someone who has worked with computers for the past 23 years and knows electronics well. I just don't do Apple and would hate to mess up my perfectly working iOS 4.1!!!!!
Once you upgrade the iOS to 5.0.1 you can say bye bye to your perfectly working iOS 4.1, unless you jailbreak and have your shah saved, then you will be able to downgrade in case you don't like the iOS 5.
And it's not really difficult to upgrade the iOS, just connect it to iTunes and click upgrade or restore, whatever and let iTunes do the job for you. Do remember to make a backup of your files before the upgrade just to be at the safest side.

Do the Download Only step in iTunes, followed by the install. This gives you the latest version of iOS