What's new

Factory Reset

Moaffy

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have an iphone 4 that has come to the end of it's contract and I wish to sell it on. I've tried to set the phone back to factory settings but it keeps asking for a passcode that isn't the same as the passcode used to unlock the screen. As far as I'm aware I havent set any other passwords and have exhausted just about every other avenue I know. Please can anyone help me with this? Many thanks.

It's asking for the iCloud password, not the password used to unlock the phone. Without that password you won't be able to erase your phone. You also have to turn off find my iPhone before erasing the phone.

Have you tried using your Apple ID password? You may have used it for iCloud as well.

Last edited:
My Apple password is 14 digits long including letters and the password requested is only 4 numbers. Is there another reference that I'm missing?

Yes I was, but both with letters and numbers that exceed what the phone is requesting.

Will this identify the 4 digit passcode required to reset back to factory settings? I appreciate your help on this because I haven't got a clue!

Last edited:
If you want to erase it, go to Find my iPhone on a computer and do it from there. This should remove the passcode as well.
Here's the site you'd have to login: iCloud

Last edited: