What's new

FaceTime Will Work over 3G in iOS 5

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS_5_FaceTime.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that it seems that in the iOS 5 beta that was released on Monday, the ability to choose to use FaceTime over 3G has been discovered. However, whether or not you actually get to use it on your device over 3G once iOS 5 is officially released will depend on your mobile carrier, in the same way that tethering and VoIP does. As 9to5 Mac notes, in the Middle East, for example, carriers have got Apple to block FaceTime for them, even on the Wi-Fi-only service. This is not the first time that FaceTime over 3G has been implemented on an iPhone, but previous instances have always been on a jailbroken iPhone. 9to5 Mac actually tested it out last year, saying that the quality of the FaceTime experience over AT&T 3G “wasn’t bad at all.”

No word as yet on whether or not carriers are expected to charge extra for the service, but let’s hope not.

Source: FaceTime looks to go 3G in iOS 5, up to carriers to enable? | 9 to 5 Mac

My daughter tried to phone me via FaceTime a few times today while I was on 3G. I never managed to get it connected but my phone rang in the usual way although it said slide to unlock instead of slide to answer...

My daughter tried to phone me via FaceTime a few times today while I was on 3G. I never managed to get it connected but my phone rang in the usual way although it said slide to unlock instead of slide to answer...

i tried to call out while on 3g facetime and it told me i must be on a wifi connection, maybe this is one of the features that is disabled in the first beta like the itunes sync

i tried to call out while on 3g facetime and it told me i must be on a wifi connection, maybe this is one of the features that is disabled in the first beta like the itunes sync

I haven't tried phoning out yet. Just started receiving them last night. I will have a play about with them tonight when I can get both side by side...

yeah i disabled wifi and tried it, i keep swiping my finger across the screen for sbsettings lol i miss that app the most

yeah i disabled wifi and tried it, i keep swiping my finger across the screen for sbsettings lol i miss that app the most

Ahahah SBSettings addiction :) but I've read that there is already a jailbreak for iOS 5 beta version. Why don't you get it?

Ahahah SBSettings addiction :) but I've read that there is already a jailbreak for iOS 5 beta version. Why don't you get it?

yep lol..

i dont do tethered jailbreak, never have, never will. when the final ios 5 is released along with a un tethered jailbreak thats when i will do so. plus the betas are released usually every few weeks so it would be more hassle then its worth to keep jailbreaking through the betas

yep lol..

i dont do tethered jailbreak, never have, never will. when the final ios 5 is released along with a un tethered jailbreak thats when i will do so. plus the betas are released usually every few weeks so it would be more hassle then its worth to keep jailbreaking through the betas

I see, I wouldn't be able to live without my cydia tweaks and also hate the tethered jailbreak and that's why I hold off the iOS upgrade, I better wait till the official release of a tethered jailbreak of the iOS 5 before get it to my iPhone. How do you manage living without jailbreak tweaks apps? You are brave.

i dont mind so much when i can be on the newer firmware and have the extra features...

but some like freesync is in ios 5. but the extra features of ios 5 make it worth it. will be even better when itunes Sync (no pc) is enabled

I keep swiping for SBsettings as well. It saved my battery so much being able to easily change between wifi and 3G. I keep forgetting now that I have to go into the actuall settings app...

yeah, its not far into the settings its just so much easier to swipe the clock

It's not actually fully enabled on 3G yet but I'm sure it will be made availble in the final release or forthcoming betas.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not actually fully enabled on 3G yet but I'm sure it will be made availble in the final release or forthcoming betas.

BTW if anyone wants to test out the betas:

Forum rule number 17
17. Links to upgrades for BETA software will be deleted. User will receive one warning. A second warning will lead to being banned.