What's new

Facetime use a lot of data?

Ferrari

Reaction score
So if I jailbreak my iphone 4 and get My3G, would Facetime use a lot of my Data plan if I do it for like 3 minutes over 3G?
I'm only restricted to 2gigs so thats why I'm asking :(

So if I jailbreak my iphone 4 and get My3G, would Facetime use a lot of my Data plan if I do it for like 3 minutes over 3G?

For 3 min... No, it will not be that much. Test it out then check your data usage for a more exact estimate. (I don't think the phone usage meter works jailbroken)

For 3 min... No, it will not be that much. Test it out then check your data usage for a more exact estimate. (I don't think the phone usage meter works jailbroken)

Alright I guess I gotta wait like 2 more weeks for my phone to arrive :(

use it on wifi not ya 3g dude lol it cost will be quit a bit as it needs to use a bit I have a 50 meg connection and my girlfriend at work has a 6 meg and she stutters some times because of the connection lol

2GB is a lot of 3G use. Its the equivalent of downloading around 500 mp3's. You could use facebook for a good few hours before getting any where near 2GB on it. I've only got 1GB of data and never go near it...

2GB is a lot of 3G use. Its the equivalent of downloading around 500 mp3's. You could use facebook for a good few hours before getting any where near 2GB on it. I've only got 1GB of data and never go near it...
yea but thats web browsing, not like video streaming those types of things use up way more data by alot

I miss read. I thought he said Facebook not FaceTime, it was late when I posted. Lol.

You would still get an hour or two of FaceTime for 2GB. An hour of SD video is only around 700mb...

I'm a newbie so excuse my ignorance. If I use Facetime at on on WiFi, doest it still use up my Data Plan.
Thanks,
Bruce

It will only use up your data on your wifi that your signed into...
u mean face time calls betwen two iphones4 conected to wireless ruter are free?

Not really free, it will eat up your voice communication fees. However there will not be any big defference between normal voice phone call and video so far as video call will use your wifi for video and but your carrier will be counting as if you were making a normal phone call.
Now if you decide to make video call over 3g, that's another stuff.

Your carrier doesn't charge you anything for making a FaceTime call over wifi. It's completely free excluding any data charges from your wifi provider. My daughter regulary uses her iPod to make FaceTime calls so no network involved there...

Your carrier doesn't charge you anything for making a FaceTime call over wifi. It's completely free excluding any data charges from your wifi provider. My daughter regulary uses her iPod to make FaceTime calls so no network involved there...

Really??? If i call another phone number in another country other than mine like i'm on verizon, and i call some one who is in India by dialing his phone number and then enable video call it will be completely for free eventhough i have the phone connected on wifi and/ but reach my contact by dialing his phone number??? Verizon or att willnot charge me for international phone call fares?