What's new

facetime on a 3G data connection?

gazoo

Reaction score
pretty new to this so please excuse if this has been asked before. why does apple not allow facetime on 3g? only wi-fi?

gazoo said:
pretty new to this so please excuse if this has been asked before. why does apple not allow facetime on 3g? only wi-fi?

IDK lol. But at the release of iOS 6, the 4s will be able to FaceTime over 3G

I hv iphone 4 but do not have FaceTime. can some one tell how do i get it.
most basic question

I am not too sure about why they chose to make FaceTime available over wifi only considering how important and nice it would be to make it usable through 3g waves.

I think though it would get a decrease in performance and efficiency should they have been made available through 3g, but one that people would generally understand.

Performance dips are one of the things that people could actually look past on.

Dr Musani said:
I hv iphone 4 but do not have FaceTime. can some one tell how do i get it.
most basic question

Dr Musani said:
I live in Middle east

IDevices supplied in certain countries, such as the UAE, do not have FaceTime, due to the restrictive laws in those countries.

Unfortunately, there is no way to install FaceTime under such circumstances. You may, however, be able to install Skype, although this may involve a visit to an app store outwith your own country.

Actually, you can FaceTime over 3G. You need two iDevices, an iPhone capable of operating as a personal hotspot, and an iPad or iPod touch. Tether the iPad/iPod to the iPhone and start FaceTime. It works, using the 3G connection of the iPhone.

Actually, you can FaceTime over 3G. You need two iDevices, an iPhone capable of operating as a personal hotspot, and an iPad or iPod touch. Tether the iPad/iPod to the iPhone and start FaceTime. It works, using the 3G connection of the iPhone.
Unfortunately with this solution... you must pay your wireless provider to enable one of your iDevices as the "Hotspot."

Thomasjtsi said:
Unfortunately with this solution... you must pay your wireless provider to enable one of your iDevices as the "Hotspot."

That's true. My provider throws it in for free, but I know that's not universal.

Download skype, that way you can "facetime" people even without iphones or those on a computer. Oh, and it works through 3G too, and it's free :)

keithshields said:
Download skype, that way you can "facetime" people even without iphones or those on a computer. Oh, and it works through 3G too, and it's free :)

And throw a bit of cash in and you can call telephones too.