What's new

Facetime between USA (ATT) and UK (O2)

phillip999

Reaction score
Hi.
I have explored various internet posts and also conversed with AT&T, but I am still uncertain of the following. If anyone knows the certain answer, I'd appreciate it.

I have successfully used Facetime between USA (LA) and UK (London) by going to "Contacts" Menu and clicking "Facetime" button, then selecting the target iPhone 4 telephone number. Works beautifully when calling UK from USA and when calling USA from UK (O2).
However, I am not sure what the charges might be, if any, at both ends when "facetiming" to USA (from UK via O2) and to UK (from USA).

Feedback from ATT, from internet postings, etc. yield mixed answers. Anyone know the facts or can direct me to them?
Hopefully, it's free if in both cases Facetime uses WiFi for the entire procedure. Thanks in advance.

FaceTime is completely done over wifi so you won't get billed. The only time you might see a charge is if you called an overseas number and then switched to a FaceTime call. Then you would see the charge for the minute's used before the FaceTime call started.

Last edited:
Hi.
Thanks DannyBoy for the quick reply.
phillip999

Hi.
I have explored various internet posts and also conversed with AT&T, but I am still uncertain of the following. If anyone knows the certain answer, I'd appreciate it.

I have successfully used Facetime between USA (LA) and UK (London) by going to "Contacts" Menu and clicking "Facetime" button, then selecting the target iPhone 4 telephone number. Works beautifully when calling UK from USA and when calling USA from UK (O2).
However, I am not sure what the charges might be, if any, at both ends when "facetiming" to USA (from UK via O2) and to UK (from USA).

Feedback from ATT, from internet postings, etc. yield mixed answers. Anyone know the facts or can direct me to them?
Hopefully, it's free if in both cases Facetime uses WiFi for the entire procedure. Thanks in advance.

Like DannyBoy said it's over wifi and it's free as long as you use the facetime button to call. The phone number is just used as an identifier.

So if you call first, and then switch to Facetime the call will drop from charges and go to Wifi?

So if you call first, and then switch to Facetime the call will drop from charges and go to Wifi?

You don't call first, you initiate a facetime session which is purely voice over IP. You are calling facetime to facetime so no charges on either party.

Yes, you have the option to be on a call and then switch to FT. It completely ends your first call as soon as FT connects.

Does anyone know of a FaceTime directory? I think it would be a great way to meet people as well as make money for advertisers. You could even charge people a minimum amount to be listed. If I weren't so lazy I could be rich.