What's new

Excessive data on ios 6

noddy

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or been made aware of a possible problem with ios 6 using stupid amounts of data? I've done a search before posting this and found nothing, so here's my story

Checking my balance last night, i saw a charge of £20 for data. When i looked further, it seems I'd gone over my 1Gb allowance which is unusual for me, as I rarely go over 500mb.

Well, I called Orange this morning and had an interesting conversation.

My billing date is the 10th of each month. It seems I went over my 1Gb allowance on the 13th Sept (3 days) and have been charged £1 a day since then. However- I was in Ireland from the 3rd to the 13th and my phone was switched to airplane mode with data etc also off. I used an old 3GS with an Irish Three SIM inserted for calls and Internet whilst there, so I had no need to use my 4S and it stayed in the glovebox.

Even more amazingly, Orange were trying to say was, from the 13th until now, I'd used a further 4Gb of data!

They acknowledged there was a problem with iOS 6 with mobile data being drained and said they'd refund the charges in full. Apparently, Apple are due to send a software upgrade out to rectify the problem. Until then, I will have to monitor my usage through the settings menu.

Last edited:
how strange,glad Orange were good about and are refunding you.

Same thing here. I have Verizon. I heard that there is an update for iPhone 5 users out there already. Good thing to hear that there is something in the works for us 4S owners because this phantom data usage has rendered my phone unusable outside of wifi hotspots.

Same thing here. I have Verizon. I heard that there is an update for iPhone 5 users out there already. Good thing to hear that there is something in the works for us 4S owners because this phantom data usage has rendered my phone unusable outside of wifi hotspots.

iPhone 4S wasn't affected, hence there is no patch for it. The data issue only affects iPhone 5 users and while most of the US already had a patch pushed, not all countries/cellular providers have the update yet.

Had the same problem on my s after the update.I took it into the Apple store here and had them check it.The guy there said they had seen several doing the same as mine and what has been reported with the 4s and claim it was because of a bad download of the new IOS6 firmware.They did a hard reset and wiped my phone and reloaded my contacts and said to monitor it. I can say it seems to have helped some already..because untill they did this I was lucky to even find a wi-fi spot unless right next to it..and tonight when I came in to work..it picked all of the various wi-fi's available and seems to be able to stay connected.

For me the jury is still out on if this fixes the excessive cell usage..due to the wi-fi drop outs...only time will tell this.

Mac

iPhone 4S wasn't affected, hence there is no patch for it. The data issue only affects iPhone 5 users and while most of the US already had a patch pushed, not all countries/cellular providers have the update yet.

What could be causing the phantom data then? I close every app and leave my phone sitting on the table and an hour later it's already used 100 MB.

Skull One said:
iPhone 4S wasn't affected, hence there is no patch for it.

Well mine is.. My 4S has used 3.87Gb of data in the last 20 days. I have never gone over 500Mb in any single month for the last three years of owning an iPhone.

Well mine is.. My 4S has used 3.87Gb of data in the last 20 days. I have never gone over 500Mb in any single month for the last three years of owning an iPhone.

Have you tried restoring as a new device to see if that solves your problem?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Not yet. I raised this with Orange who are aware of the issue. They seem to think an update is due to correct it.

My sister in law had the same problem on her 4s with AT&T & did a restore as a new phone & that fixed it. The AT&T rep told her that they are aware of the problem & that its affecting most people who upgraded to IOS 6 if they restored from a backup. When I upgraded my 4s to IOS 6 I didn't restore from a back up & mine has been fine.