What's new

Iphone 4s batter and charging problems.

Zomborgi

Reaction score
Okay so I've had my Iphone 4s for probably 6 months. Over the past 2 weeks I've been experiencing some weird errors. My main issue is that my iphone takes probably about 24-hours to charge completely. It used to charge in maybe 4 or 5? The problem originally started when It wouldn't connect to my charger. This charger I've been using since I got the iphone and never had problems with it. Even so I had tried different chargers and neither of them worked either. Sometimes I'd plug it in and get no notification. Other times I would get the notification that charging is not supported by this accessory (which prompted me to try and charge it on several other charges. The same thing happened with them.)

Also, I don't know if this is of any relevance but before all this happened (2 or 3 days before) for some reason my apple ID had been disabled. No one but me uses my iphone and no one has tried to get onto my account that I'm aware of. I followed the steps in re-enabling my account and resetting my password. Apple told me that they sent an email out that would take me to the page where I could reset my password however I still haven't gotten one and I've been through this process several times. Everytime I turn my phone on I get a notification that my phone was unable to connect to my email address (or something similar) however I can still access, read and send emails.

Anyways after not connecting at all for a day or so I tried the following night and it would constantly connect and disconnect. I'd hear the connection sound over and over and over again. This was a constant on going thing and it occurred around ever 2-3 seconds. Sometimes it would stop for a few minutes but it would always start up again.

Now my iphone says its connected and it does charge but it takes an excessive amount of time to do so. I still occasionally get the message that charging is not supported but connecting and disconnecting usually fixes that. Also if it is charging and I decide to use it (text or call) it will continue to lose battery life.

Here is what I have tried to do:
-shut off cellular data/wi-fi
-close all open applications
-reset (not restore) my iphone
-cleaning out the charging port
-charge with several other accessories/outlets
-sync with a computer

Here is some important information you might need:
-On a hiking trip back in March I dropped my phone and the screen cracked slightly. I have not had any problems with the phone until now though.
-I was camping when I started having this problem with my battery. I went to the beach and I'm wondering if sand got in the port.
-While on vacation in our camper one night the power would fade on and off for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. This only happened once however. I don't remember if this was before or after I started having issues with my phone. I'm wondering if these power surges/outages (Idk which is correct) caused damage to my phone.
-While on vacation I also used my phone excessively on safari through cellular data. (there was no internet at the campground.)
-I usually let the battery drain out completely before I charge it. (unless I sync it up to listen to music or something).

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I saw other help threads so I figured this was an okay place to post.

Last edited:
ok well i havent had this problem since my 3g. i had this similar problem with the charging taking a long time to charge. however the phone always kept connection unlike yours. the reason my phone was taking so long to charge was because of the battery being bad. i replaced the battery and it worked like a charm ever since then.

i read that you used multiple chargers and stuff, but have you tried using a computer? also what cable are you using to charge? on my computers i install a program called ASUS AI charger. its a free program. check it out.

ok well i havent had this problem since my 3g. i had this similar problem with the charging taking a long time to charge. however the phone always kept connection unlike yours. the reason my phone was taking so long to charge was because of the battery being bad. i replaced the battery and it worked like a charm ever since then.

i read that you used multiple chargers and stuff, but have you tried using a computer? also what cable are you using to charge? on my computers i install a program called ASUS AI charger. its a free program. check it out.

Thanks so much for the response! I was afraid I wouldn't get any feedback. I've been using the charger that the phone came with. And yeah I've also tried charging it through the computer. :/ I think you're right though there could be a problem with the battery. Do you know how much this would cost to fix? And where did you go?

i went to a local cell phone shop. but its not that hard to do yourself. just a couple of screws and a about 20 mins of your time is all you need. and ooh yeah, the new battery. you can youtube videos of how to do it