What's new

Dropping calls non stop, Extended network..help!!!

amyinnc

Reaction score
Ever since yesterday I've had the worse service! Only about one bar, can't stay on a call more than 10 seconds..phone keeps going into extended network..super slow when trying to browse, etc...husbands phone working ok...what gives!? I can't have this bad phone service...

Dial *228 and then select option 2.

This will update your PRL (Perfered Roaming List) and usually the first step in troubleshooting an issue of this nature. The PRL controls how your phone communicates with the towers. By having the most current list, it can better utilize the cell phone towers nearest to the phones location.

Ok and that's free to do? Having a hard time doing it as it keeps ending the call!!!

where are you in NC? We've had many issues with Verizon in the last year, especially in areas that were previously Alltel. I was in Hickory last weekend and I had service with an Alltel PRL on my Verizon phone, but my friend with a Verizon PRL had 1 bar and many dropped calls.

Im a little north of Raleigh. This happens once in a blue moon but usually only for a little while. This has been going on since early yesterday...not sure if it's my phone, since my husbands phone seems fine...

You should use *228 once every month or so to update the PRL as Skull suggested. It is free. You might have to get in the car and find service to get it done though. And then you might want to call Verizon and find out if they are doing cell tower service in your area, if that doesn't work.

Ok when I do the 228 thing it tells me currently unable to update your phone!! And it's hard to call them when I have no signal!! Ughhhh!!

xrayeyes suggestion is your best bet. You will have to find a better cellular tower to do the *228.

Weird...it says "welcome to us cellulars update service"... I have Verizon!

Yeah... Your PRL must really be out of date for that to happen.

So you think once I can get to a decent area it will do the update and fix that? Is that why it tells me unable to do it, not enough service?

Also..I have an update in my settings to update to ios6..is that legit? Are there new problems with 6?

So you think once I can get to a decent area it will do the update and fix that? Is that why it tells me unable to do it, not enough service?

That is the idea and yes.

Also..I have an update in my settings to update to ios6..is that legit? Are there new problems with 6?

Yeppers. iOS 6 is the current version. I happen to like iOS 6 a lot. But some people would suggest waiting for iOS 6.01 (currently in beta) before updating. Personally, I think you should solve the PRL issue before updating either way.

Ok I went up the road and was able to update the PRL. Said successful..but still only getting one bar, so will have to see how that goes. I've had the update icon in my settings for like 2 months now but haven't done anything about it, wasn't sure it was a good idea.