What's new

Dropped calls on Non 3G network

Neggy

Reaction score
I have had my IPhone 4 since it came out and a couple months ago it started dropping calls if I'm not in a 3G area. I live in a 3G area but regularly travel to small towns with no 3G. It will show a good signal and start working good, but when I connect to the person I'm calling the E network goes away and it has no signal. It often fails in the first couple seconds of the call. Sometimes it lasts for up to a minute. Very frustrating because I do travel a lot.

Has anyone heard of this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neggy said:
I have had my IPhone 4 since it came out and a couple months ago it started dropping calls if I'm not in a 3G area. I live in a 3G area but regularly travel to small towns with no 3G. It will show a good signal and start working good, but when I connect to the person I'm calling the E network goes away and it has no signal. It often fails in the first couple seconds of the call. Sometimes it lasts for up to a minute. Very frustrating because I do travel a lot.

Has anyone heard of this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

3G and edge is usually the data. AT&T probably is having connection issues in your area. Have you done anything to your phone that cause your problem. Try hard resetting by holding the home and sleep button til the apple logo appears

Thanks for the reply ICrank.

It almost acts like a AT&T problem but its been going on for a couple months now. And its all over the place outside of a 3G area. I travel around West Texas and never had a problem before this. It shows I have a signal, place the call, then boom, call failed.

I havn't done anything to the phone except updates... Infact it was on an old version for a long time, then this started happening, updated it hopeing it would fix the problem, but it still happens.

I have tried the hard reset and it still happens.

I'm at a loss and don't want to pay for apple support when I know they will just want me to send it in.

It acts like it has two antennas... One for 3G and another for E. The 3G one works fine but the E doesnt... I know this isnt the case but thats the best way I can think to describe it.

Any more suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I'm at a lost. I surprised to hear you're actually not having that issue in west Texas. There isn't anything out there. Hopefully someone else can help

I'm at a lost. I surprised to hear you're actually not having that issue in west Texas. There isn't anything out there. Hopefully someone else can help

You are right about there not being a lot out here! But on AT&T I have always had a pretty good signal... That is why I have stayed with them. Between Amarillo and Lubbock I could stay on the phone all the way there (2 hours) But it was all on E. Now I cant talk more than a minute anywhere except on 3G...

Frustrating

Neggy said:
You are right about there not being a lot out here! But on AT&T I have always had a pretty good signal... That is why I have stayed with them. Between Amarillo and Lubbock I could stay on the phone all the way there (2 hours) But it was all on E. Now I cant talk more than a minute anywhere except on 3G...

Frustrating

That would be frustrating. Sorry if I couldn't help more. Wish the best of luck to you.

Bump

Anyone else have any idea on this?

I'm not sure with AT&T as I am a VZW customer, but is there a way to update your coverage by calling a number? I was having problems with my old phone (MTRLA Droid1) and my phone was dropping calls even with a good signal, and all I had to do was call customer service and the woman I talked to walked me through updating the cell service, (which thankfully is free). I think you are supposed to do it every once and a while.. Again I may be completely wrong, and it's kind of a shot in the dark but I thought I would mention that..

Another thing that comes to mind... Do you have a case? Are you death gripping the phone whenever you make a call?

Thats about all I can think of, sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

I will give AT&T a call and see if they have any ideas. I will post an update here if they do.

I do have a case but its been on there since I got the phone and never had a problem before.

I usually am not even holding the phone when I have the problem. Its Usually in my car with the bluetooth system on. So I know its not the death grip issue.

Thanks for your help! I will let you know what AT&T says.

fstyleboard said:
I'm not sure with AT&T as I am a VZW customer, but is there a way to update your coverage by calling a number? I was having problems with my old phone (MTRLA Droid1) and my phone was dropping calls even with a good signal, and all I had to do was call customer service and the woman I talked to walked me through updating the cell service, (which thankfully is free). I think you are supposed to do it every once and a while.. Again I may be completely wrong, and it's kind of a shot in the dark but I thought I would mention that..

Another thing that comes to mind... Do you have a case? Are you death gripping the phone whenever you make a call?

Thats about all I can think of, sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

You can update the prl by calling *228 option 2.