What's new

Disabling GPS

Reaction score
I know there are several apps that will keep your GPS location disabled unless you're using an app that uses location like maps to save on the battery. My question is actually an odd one and no one may know. If the GPS is disabled while not using it will 911 actually still be able to locate you? I'm a police officer & medic so am pretty cautious about my surroundings and family safety. I know that 911 is able to triangulate your phone if it has GPS in it just in case you're unable to tell them where you are. But I was worried about using that tweak if it would actually prevent them from triangulating me if for some reason I'm unable to tell them where I am. While on duty I use my radio which also has a panic button installed to alert 911 I'm in trouble. But I don't carry my radio off duty.

Using an iPhone 4S iOS 6.1.1

Yes, even if GPS is disabled, they can still track you. Even if the phone is powered off they can track you. The government requires all cellphones to have the ability to turn GPS on remotely. They can also monitor the audio through your phone's microphone even while the device is off.

Last edited:
Yes, even if GPS is disabled, they can still track you. Even if the phone is powered off they can track you. The government requires all cellphones to have the ability to turn GPS on remotely. They can also monitor the audio through your phone's microphone even while the device is off.

That seems impossible, being able to monitor audio through the phone's microphone while it's off. The power is off to the phone, which means no power to the microphone. Same principle with the GPS. How is this possible?

That seems impossible, being able to monitor audio through the phone's microphone while it's off. The power is off to the phone, which means no power to the microphone. Same principle with the GPS. How is this possible?

When you power off the device, there is still current running to the phone's components, just like in a computer. I suppose you could take the battery out, but that's not very practical with an iPhone. The FBI has used this technique in the past to take down crime syndicates.

The only way to block out remote mic access is if you constantly have headphones plugged in. Apparently that'll soon change. Much like using earphones/headphones on a computer except plugging it into the mic port, you can still grab sound through the headphones by plugging it in a certain way on a computer (pretty neat).

But as of now, that's the only way to block the mic from recording. Apparently there was a panel discussion on how lifting that restriction is a viable change to mobile devices for national security. I'll see if I can pull up the article with that.