What's new

Is GPS on when apps are closed?

LaurenRae

Reaction score
I tried to search for an answer, but either a) no one has addressed this yet, or b) I was putting in the wrong search terms.

Is GPS on/active when all apps using GPS are closed? I ask, because I considered a pedometer app, but the description of the app said that having GPS continually running in the background will deplete the battery rather quickly. I have GPS enabled for such apps as Weather and Maps, but currently have those apps closed.

Also, related, I suppose: if GPS is NOT running in the background, can emergency personnel (or bad guys) be able to locate me (assuming my phone is with me) using my phone's GPS capabilities?

I do have GPS disabled for things like Facebook and Twitter, to make it harder to be located by the general public. And I've disabled it for the camera, and I hope that means the coordinates of each picture do not show up on FB or anywhere else I post.

Thanks!

Well i would turn it on while using then turn off the gps while not using and no i dont think just anyone can track u

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the "location services" page and you will see info that might help you with your question. Go to Settings>Location Services> System Services and scroll all the way to the bottom there. You will see a setting for the status bar for location services. BTW, I have all of my system services turned off as well. They use battery and have no function for me..only to send info out!

I turn off location services for any app I'm not using currently. The only one I leave on is for Maps and Find my iPhone.

Last edited: