What's new

Different Battery problem

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
(Edited to add grammar/word choice errors are courtesy of iPhone dictation and not caught by me....:cool:

Yesterday I woke up as usual at my iPhone off his charger. The only applications I had running overnight were settings, atomic web, and my lose it app. I turned off Wi-Fi and cellular data overnight and charged to 100%. With no use about three hours after coming off my charger I noticed my battery was already down to the low 90s. I had to reboot the phone a couple times before the usage percentage and the standby percentage were not the same. The pictures below show screenprints from yesterday when I have the problem and today when I do not have the problem. I treated the phone exactly the same as I charged it up last night and had the same applications running overnight.

baf2997d.jpg

72e65a91.jpg

What could have caused my usage yesterday equal the whole time the phone was off the charger?

Last edited:
Let me add that I also have Bluetooth turned on overnight both nights. However nothing was connected to the Bluetooth and so the Bluetooth icon was greyed out in both cases. I basically treated my apps and my phone exactly the same as I usually do both nights but had very different battery statistics each day.

We saw that condition during iOS 5 beta testing from beta 1 thru 6. Never saw it in beta 7 or GM. My assumption has always been is that an Apple created app got stuck in a detection loop and never could go back to sleep.

Interesting. It seems rebooting the phone about 3 times (not the first 1 or 2) corrected my problem. After the first two reboots I waited a few mins with apps closed and wifi/bluetooth/cell data OFF, but the usage still equaled the standby. Finally the usage stopped while standby continued. Seems folks should monitor this on their phones in case it gets "stuck".

I checked mine last night and it had done the same thing. But, one other thing I noticed is that I had a lot of cell data being sent and received while at home on wifi and after I had cleared it! I have so many things turned off my phone right now, it's barely a smartphone anymore. No bluetooth, a few notifications, only manual settings for e-mail, time zone setting off, iAd off, etc.

I turned off cell data last night and none has been used of course. I wonder what's sending info? Oh, and I don't have iCloud on at all. And wifi sync is off for now. In researching this a bit, I came across this in MacRumors
iOS5 using excessive cell data? - MacRumors Forums

Also, my battery life is so varied and I can't pin it down. One day I can take it off the charger and in standby it will still be at 100% 4 hours later. This morning it dropped 1% in 15 minutes. Weird.

Last edited:
Sure enough, after full charge with the phone ON (I presume so it knows it hit 100%), it began tracking usage statistics normally again. AND, after 5.0.1 update my battery has improved again. It's downright acceptable now. I do keep cell data and WIFI turned off until needed, but leave bluetooth, several notification services etc. on all the time. With occasional mail checks and browsing, weather checks etc yesterday I ended the 7:00 am to 10:00 pm day at 82%....

I checked mine last night and it had done the same thing. But, one other thing I noticed is that I had a lot of cell data being sent and received while at home on wifi and after I had cleared it! I have so many things turned off my phone right now, it's barely a smartphone anymore. No bluetooth, a few notifications, only manual settings for e-mail, time zone setting off, iAd off, etc.

I turned off cell data last night and none has been used of course. I wonder what's sending info? Oh, and I don't have iCloud on at all. And wifi sync is off for now. In researching this a bit, I came across this in MacRumors
iOS5 using excessive cell data? - MacRumors Forums

Also, my battery life is so varied and I can't pin it down. One day I can take it off the charger and in standby it will still be at 100% 4 hours later. This morning it dropped 1% in 15 minutes. Weird.

I noticed this too a few days ago. When you are getting quick battery drain, check your usage. If you "usage" time equals your "stand by" time, there is something running in the background. The other day I had to reboot 3 times before the usage time quit and the standby time continued. The phone did not show anything to be running, but something was......