What's new

Deleting/Hiding unwanted apps?

SS4Luck

Reaction score
Okay id LOVE to hide/delete all the original apple apps that i dont use. I have found a replacement app for just about every one and hate that i have a nice clean organized screen with a spare folder that just says "unused crap" for all the old apps i dont use.

is there any way to do this.

im already JB'ed

you can just use OpenSSH and delete the app instead of hiding it.. thats what i do.. stocks? wtfrig do i want that crap on there for? i delete it, itunes store? i never use it.. dleted... weather??? deleted.. you get the idea..

but in the applications folder using ssh you can delete any app

Unleashed said:
you can just use OpenSSH and delete the app instead of hiding it.. thats what i do.. stocks? wtfrig do i want that crap on there for? i delete it, itunes store? i never use it.. dleted... weather??? deleted.. you get the idea..

but in the applications folder using ssh you can delete any app

How is this done?

1. download OpenSSH from cydia
2.download a ftp client flashFXP/filezilla/WInSCP - filezilla is available for mac as well but the other two is windows only.

3. go into settings > wifi connection and check your iphones ip and in your ftp client use this as a connect ip with the username root/alpine and using port 22

now your iphone might need a restart before the ssh starts working but then you need to accept a certificate and once you connect you have full SSH access to all your iphone files, locate the applications folder and you have access to any app on your springboard, just right click and delete and wave bye bye to those default apps you just wish you could of deleted that apple stupidly force you to keep on there. just careful not to delete anything important ;)

also i would advise downloading an app called Terminal and change the default password of alpine. connect and type "su root" it will ask for a password and type alpine then type "passwd" and it will ask you for a new password, then remember to change it in your ftp client..

its security because every openSSH has the same password so any one could easily connect to your iphone randomly and mess with your phone, delete everything..etc

so make sure you change the password

1. download OpenSSH from cydia
2.download a ftp client flashFXP/filezilla/WInSCP - filezilla is available for mac as well but the other two is windows only.

3. go into settings > wifi connection and check your iphones ip and in your ftp client use this as a connect ip with the username root/alpine and using port 22

now your iphone might need a restart before the ssh starts working but then you need to accept a certificate and once you connect you have full SSH access to all your iphone files, locate the applications folder and you have access to any app on your springboard, just right click and delete and wave bye bye to those default apps you just wish you could of deleted that apple stupidly force you to keep on there. just careful not to delete anything important ;)

also i would advise downloading an app called Terminal and change the default password of alpine. connect and type "su root" it will ask for a password and type alpine then type "passwd" and it will ask you for a new password, then remember to change it in your ftp client..

its security because every openSSH has the same password so any one could easily connect to your iphone randomly and mess with your phone, delete everything..etc

so make sure you change the password

If you do this and then have to return the phone for a defect... When you restore, will they all come back? Just curious, when I used to delete bloatware from my android it was a pain in the @ss to get it all back on the phone...

@Unleashed

Thanx buddy your a legend, tried to pm ya but it didn't let me :)

And just an addon to my question of if it returns them on the restore...
How much extra memory/ space do you get when you delete the programs? I'm def looking to do this as long as i can restore it. I never use stocks and itunes and such

@Unleashed

Thanx buddy your a legend, tried to pm ya but it didn't let me :)

no worries :) them default apps where annoying as hell and take up space..

And just an addon to my question of if it returns them on the restore...
How much extra memory/ space do you get when you delete the programs? I'm def looking to do this as long as i can restore it. I never use stocks and itunes and such

when you restore everything is re installed, that includes all the default apps you might have deleted like stocks or weather or any other default app you hate or might have deleted by accident.

i never use them either i dont know why apple refuse to let you delete the apps that to some are useless..

you dont save much space at all, my guess is the apps are around 10mb at the most but im not sure on the size i never checked

Sweet. Idc about space too much, I was more curious about that. But I def dont want the icons there taking up space on my screen! Lol

lol exactly why i delete them also, apps i will never use.. i am not sure why apple care if i delete them or not but its a good thing we have openSSH :)

Unleashed said:
lol exactly why i delete them also, apps i will never use.. i am not sure why apple care if i delete them or not but its a good thing we have openSSH :)

We have to remember apple cares about everything we do with our devices they are very controlling (and I'm not having a go at them) thanx to jailbreak we are FREE :)

One question: with using this method would I be able to put apps (such as weather or calculator) from my iPhone to my iPad 2? So can I ssh into iPhone copy and the ssh into iPad and paste?