What's new

Declining Battery Capacity

DallasFan

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of remarks about degrading batteries in the Iphone.

I never had that problem until recently.

I recharged my battery the other night and it was 97 percent when I turned it off for the night.

I woke up and it was 62%. I know it was off because I slid the bar to the right.

I used it a bit for the day and looked down and poof ! I was at 21%.

I did nothing to justify a reduction in 40% battery levels.

I was wondering if the APPS might be running in the background and using the battery even if I am not using the phone.

I checked my battery indicator and it says it is good to 97%.......in other words.......even though my phone is 18 months old, the battery is still retaining 97% of its original capacity.

I know Apple is replacing their batteries but I have not done that yet.

Any suggestions or ideas?

You can turn off Background Refresh for Apps under Settings General.

Reboot your iPhone as this sometimes helps after updating. In addition, wait a few days, without frequently checking your phone battery. Your iPhone may be re-populating after the update and will settle down after a few days. This is normal. Check it again next week.

Thanks, I 'll follow your suggestion and see what happens tomorrow.

I wonder how many people have had their batteries replaced so far, we have until the end of the year.

Turning Background App Refresh off will not stop apps from running in the background. It helps apps run in the background more efficiently, using less resources.

I did not see where it indicated which APPS were running more frequently.
I probably have about 50 APPS although I only use 6-8 with any frequency.
And then Apple has about 20-25 I can't delete.

I deleted 5,6 APPS that I rarely use to free up more space and less time refreshing.

I cut off the AMBER alert that lets you know if a child has been kidnapped.

It goes off about once a week. But.......it alerts for basically the entire state of Texas. I have even gotten alerts for Houston which is about 300 miles (400 KM) from Dallas. I don't need alerts for something that far away and besides, that alarm is annoying.

I wonder how many APPS people have on their phone - on average.

I also receive about 20-25 APP updates every week. I wonder how many other people receive.

We have until 31 December to get the batteries replaced with a new one from Apple. I was waiting for the rush to end before I had mine replaced. I wonder what the percentage of phones have actually had their batteries replaced so far?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I expect sometime in the next few months would be best for the battery replacement. There would likely be a bit of a rush as the deadline approaches.

I did not see where it indicated which APPS were running more frequently.
I probably have about 50 APPS although I only use 6-8 with any frequency.
And then Apple has about 20-25 I can't delete.

I deleted 5,6 APPS that I rarely use to free up more space and less time refreshing.

I cut off the AMBER alert that lets you know if a child has been kidnapped.

It goes off about once a week. But.......it alerts for basically the entire state of Texas. I have even gotten alerts for Houston which is about 300 miles (400 KM) from Dallas. I don't need alerts for something that far away and besides, that alarm is annoying.

I wonder how many APPS people have on their phone - on average.

I also receive about 20-25 APP updates every week. I wonder how many other people receive.

We have until 31 December to get the batteries replaced with a new one from Apple. I was waiting for the rush to end before I had mine replaced. I wonder what the percentage of phones have actually had their batteries replaced so far?

Thanks for your help.
It took them about 3 weeks to make my battery. Yes, you read that right, they have to make the older batteries. Given that, I would start the process to replace the battery this summer, before the next set of iphones com come out in Sept or Oct. you get the process started through Apple Support.
You find the % of battery use by Apps in Settings>Battery.

I'm hoping for a slackening soon, my 6S Plus is at 82% capacity now
I asked them when mine was done. They don’t really care about your battery capacity. They test and check the iPhone for any problems it may have but they are going to do your battery for you regardless. But, you have to start with Apple Support, they do the diagnostic and then order the new battery for you. When it arrives at your local store, you get an email to come in.